Chapter Nineteen

I braced myself as Clint began to land the jet in a forest. Shield had finally approved the Avengers' request to take me on a mission. You'd think they'd start off with a small one, but in reality, they took me to take down a whole Hydra base.

How fun.

"Let's hope that Tony doesn't create an evil murder bot after this," Clint grumbled.

"That was one time!" Tony whined.

I giggled quietly, enjoying the banter. Loki grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Okay. Agents are going to come at us full force," Steve said. "Everyone is going to fight against them until an opening is found. No one goes inside by themselves."

I stood up and rolled my shoulders. I checked my belt, making sure that my knives and guns were intact. Not that I'd need them very much now that I didn't have limiters.

We all exited the plane and ran to the edge of a forest. There was a flat expanse of snowy ground that stretched out to a massive wall of rock. The wall was about as tall as a skyscraper. That would be difficult for people who couldn't fly.

The expanse of land was empty. It was very suspicious.

"Don't go out yet," I murmured through the comms.

A wave of my power expanded over the field. I felt the air and the ground.

"Land mines," I said.

"You couldn't have dropped us off at the top of the hill, could you?" Bucky asked.

Clint grumbled at him while the rest of us tried to formulate a plan.

"Wanda and I could lift those of you who can't fly," I mused. "As well as shielding you from attacks."

"Me? Flying? Yes please," Clint said, flapping his arms and rolling his shoulders.

I rolled my eyes but laughed a little bit. I took a deep breath to summon the power.

"I will shield," Wanda said. "You can lift."

I let my power curl around the members who couldn't fly. Red encased us and we floated to the top of the rock wall. Bullets slammed into Wanda's shield once we'd reached the top. I put everyone on the ground and dove into the fight. It was over quite quickly. We all stalked into the halls of the base. Eventually we came to a fork in our path.

"Wanda, Vision, Tony, Buck, Sam, you're all with me," Steve said. "Everyone else is with y/n."

I cocked my head. What did he mean by everyone else was with me?

"Congratulations, y/n," Natasha said. "The old man thinks you're captain material."

Steve nodded at me.

"We're still connected by the comms, but you make the decisions," he said.

I let a small smile creep onto my mouth. Steve and his group took the left while my half of the team took the right. I was with Natasha, Thor, Clint, and Loki.

"Uh, okay, we're just gonna walk this way," I said, not used to leading the mission.

Clint snorted at me and I refrained from kicking him. We walked down the halls carefully. I held my hand up when I heard something. It was faint at first and I walked towards the sound. A faint beeping noise was coming from a locked door. I used my magic to get into the lock and unlock it. I entered the room and froze.

The room was full of explosives and they were going to go off in two minutes.

"There's a bomb," I said through the comms. "Two minutes 'til it blows."