Chapter Twenty-Eight

The four of us walked through the doors. Loki and Thor stopped walking a few feet away from the throne and dropped to their knees. Jane grabbed the sides of her dress and curtsied.

How the hell do you curtsy in jeans?

I dropped to a knee beside Loki.

The one thing I tell you to do, Loki said into my mind.

I saw the corner of his mouth curl up in amusement from the corner of my eye.

"Rise," a booming voice said.

I rose to my feet beside Loki. I looked up and saw a man and woman on the throne. The man, who was obviously Odin, had snow white hair and a snow white beard. He wore armour similar to Thor's. The woman, Frigga, wore a beautiful periwinkle blue dress. She had waist-length light brown hair and deep blue eyes. Frigga seemed full of kindness. From her posture to her smile, kindness seemed to radiate from her. Odin, on the other hand, seemed stoic and cold.

"Thor, Jane, Loki, welcome back to Asgard. Thor, who do you bring with you?" Odin asked.

"Y/n, Father," Thor said. "She is a fellow Avenger."

Odin seemed to instantly light up.

"You are apart of the team that protects Midgard?" he questioned.

"Yes," I replied, not sure how much I was supposed to say.

Odin smiled at me. It was slightly frightening.

"How has my other son been this past year?" Odin asked.

I bristled at his use of words. Other son? Loki had a name.

"I'm a new addition, but Loki has been amazing while I've been there," I said.

Odin seemed slightly taken aback. I looked to Frigga and saw her smile at me.

"Well, he has been under Thor's watchful eye," Odin said.

My lips thinned and my fists clenched. The King of Asgard was a second away from getting his teeth punched down his throat.

"Why are you here, my sons?" Frigga asked, effectively diffusing the tension.

"We have come to discuss the matter of an infinity stone," Thor said. "Power harnessed from the power stone somehow ended up on Midgard."

"That is impossible," Odin said. "The stone is on Xandar."

"That's what Loki said," I supplied. "But it was definitely there."

Odin squinted at me.

"And how would you know?" Odin asked.

I paled a bit.

"Because it told me," I whispered.

Odin quirked an eyebrow.

"It told you, now, did it?" he mocked.

My breathing got heavy as I remembered what it told me. Loki placed a hand on my arm.

"Yes," I said. "It told me."

Frigga moved towards me.

"How?" she asked.

"I – I don't know. It wasn't quite a voice, it just... gave me information," I said. "But it was also a voice."

Frigga nodded and walked up to me and held her hand out to my temple.

"May I see?" she asked.

I nodded and she touched her index finger to my temple. I saw flashes of purple light and heard the voice-but-not-voice in my head. When Frigga removed her hand from my temple, I swayed a little bit.

"It was power from the stone," Frigga announced.

"We will send someone to confirm if the stone is on Xandar," Odin said.

Thor and Loki visibly relaxed.

"Is that the only reason why you came to see us?" Frigga asked.

She knew. I could tell by the way her eyes twinkled with amusement as they flicked between Loki and I. Odin cocked his head to the side in confusion and slight anticipation.

Loki took a deep breath, as if steeling himself for what was to come.

"Y/n and I are courting, and I assumed you would want to know," Loki said.

Frigga smiled widely and clapped her hands together. Odin, however, looked like he might explode with anger.

"Do you know what he is?" Odin growled.

Loki visibly shrank away from his father in shame. My jaw dropped in shock, as did Frigga's.

"Yes. Incredibly handsome and charming," I replied curtly.

"Do you know what hides beneath his skin?" Odin asked angrily.

"Bones?" I said.

Odin went red with anger. I would have laughed if he wasn't so hell bent on insulting the love of my life.

"You know he is Jotun, do you not?" Odin barked.

"Oh, that. Yeah, it's pretty cool," I said, my lips curving upward at the pun.

"This is not a laughing matter!" Odin yelled. "He is a-"

"A what?"

I was shocked to see Frigga spin to face her husband with such anger in her eyes. Odin opened his mouth like a fish on land.

"I – he tried to take over Asgard!" Odin exclaimed.

"Only because you made me feel like I did not belong."

I turned to see Loki looking up at his father.

"Tell me, Father, how do you feel when you see my Jotun form?" Loki asked.

His skin began to turn blue and his eyes became red.

"Stop this childishness," Odin hissed.

"What do you feel?" Loki asked, more forcefully this time.

Odin's lips thinned.

"I remember the war," Odin admitted. "I remember taking you away."

"I tried to make you proud," Loki whispered. "I tried to prove to you that this was my family. I never wanted power or control. All I wanted was to feel like I belonged."

Loki shifted back to his Asgardian form and I rubbed his arm comfortingly. Odin's lips thinned. He took a deep breath and looked like he was about to throw up.

"I... I apologise, Loki," Odin said.

Loki looked up.

"I had no right to treat you like that. I took you as a political manoeuvre, yes. I was cold to you, knowing that one day, I may have to give you up. But I should not have treated you like that. I am sorry, my son. If, I may call you that," Odin said.

Loki's lips tightened as he pondered what Odin had said.

"I accept your apology. Father," he added at the end.

Odin seemed to visibly relax. The tension was thick in the air. I noticed that Jane was looking around the room and Thor seemed very interested in the floor.

"Well, now that is over, would you like to show y/n to her room? We will talk to Heimdall about Xandar while you all settle in," Frigga said warmly.

Loki led me from the throne room.

"I assume that we are sharing a bed?" Loki said as we walked the halls of the palace.

"Well, yeah," I said.

There was a moment of silence.

"Thank you for... standing up for me," Loki said quietly.

I grabbed his hand and intertwined our fingers.

"Anytime," I said.