Chapter Thirty-Four

the flower's gone.
   Sans noticed it.
   So he wrote it into an entry screen.
   Gaster had decided to bring Sans into the Lab for the day. He had told him about the flower and Determination. Sans was much smarter than any other monster his age, so he was able to understand anything that Alphys did. Gaster had been telling the school to raise Sans up a few grades, which they did, all the way from 5th grade to 9th, which surprised Sans. Gaster also had been begging for Sans to come down to the Lab, so this day, Sans agreed to. But the flower was gone.
   Gaster decided to call Alphys to tell her the news, which once she heard, she rushed down to the Lab immediately.
   "It's gone?!", Alphys shouted as she came busting in through the Royal Scientist's office. Sans and Gaster jumped up in their seats, surprised by Alphys's rise in tone. Sans looked up from a pile of papers in his hands. Gaster looked up from a small screen that showed information on it. He gave a nod to her loudly announced question.
   "How is it gone?! The Determination?! It's a flower, for Asgore's sake!", Alphys said, clearly freaking out over the situation. He was walking back and forth around the room, hand shaking, as she continued to go between shouting and muttering about the entire deal. Sans looked at Gaster with a calm her down sort of look. Gaster nodded and stood up, standing in front of where Alphys was about to walk. Alphys turned around in her pacing and jumped with a small yelp when she saw Gaster. Gaster placed his hands on Alphys's shoulders and looked at her with a stern, determined look.
   "We can talk about this, but first, I need you to calm down.", Gaster said, his stare piercing into Alphys's soul. Alphys nodded, shivering a bit. He stepped back from her. "Now, Sans and I are attempting to figure this out."
   Gaster glanced back at Sans. "Anything?", he asked. Sans shook his head a bit. Gaster huffed and slammed a hand on the desk, causing Sans to jump up in surprise. "Sorry."
   Sans waved the apology off. He looked back down at his papers and went over them. He looked back over at Gaster again. "What if Alphys is right?", he asked, which caused both Gaster and Alphys to look up in confusion.
   "What?", the two asked simultaneously.
   "What are you talking about?", Alphys asked again, elongating the one-worded question, being more exact. Sans stood up, ready to, in a way, make his case.
   "When you were throwing your little 'temper tantrum', no offense, you asked about the flower. You wanted to know why it was gone, and out of pure randomness, guessed 'Determination'. You might be right about it. What if the Determination that Da- er, Dr. Gaster, injected into the flower caused it to come to life like he planned. What if it left because it didn't know where it was, or something?", Sans explained his theory. Gaster and Alphys both sat in their seats thinking about what Sans said.
   "You might be absolutely right.", Gaster said, considering the possibility that the Determination had bring the flower to life. Determination had the ability to do such a thing, being able to bring things to life, increase HP levels, and bring people up and back from the worst attacks.
   Sans gave a slight nod. Alphys nodded in agreement. It made sense the more that they thought about it, for there was a lot of evidence pointing to the theory's probability.
   Throughout the rest of the day, the trio of scientists worked on theories about the flower, the Determination, and Gaster worked on personal theories about visions, timelines, and a Void. But the day of scientific theories, notes, and decisions had to come to an end. It was 9:28 PM, and Sans and Papyrus had school the next day, for their Winter Break would be over.
   Gaster sent Alphys home as him and Sans walked home. Sans seemed to keep glancing at Gaster and back to the ground as the two walked to their house. Gaster noticed it, and at first, decided not to say anything. But as Sans continued to do it over and over, Gaster had to say something.
   "Sans, what in the world are you doing?", Gaster asked, one non-existent eyebrow raised in curiosity. Sans shrugged a bit. Gaster wanted to know why Sans seemed so down. "Son?" Sans looked up at Gaster and sighed.
   "I just... This is all moving so fast.", Sans said, adjusting his lab coat. Gaster chuckled a bit.
   "You're starting to sound like me.", he said jokingly, which caused Sans to smile. "Are you alright?" Sans nodded, a genuine smile growing on his face. Gaster smiled back as he playfully shoved Sans towards the snow. Sans playfully shoved his father back. The two continued to do so to each other until they got home.
   Once at their house, Gaster put Sans and Papyrus to bed, singing the classic lullaby to Sans. Papyrus read the book himself this night, which Gaster was slightly thankful for. He felt much too tired this evening. Gaster made his way to his room and worked on a few theories that they didn't discuss. After a few hours of working on those, he went to his bed and began to rest for the night.

----------
A/N : Sorry if this chapter is a bit short. I'll make a long chapter soon to make up for it!