38

Ashton

"Crystal! Have you seen Kaykay?"

"Erm, no. She didn't turn up this morning,"

"What?"

"She didn't turn up,"

"She won't return my calls,"

"I have no clue Ash, I have an ambulance to get to,"

She slipped past me and I went to Kaykay's floor, asking if she had clocked in yet. I had left Isabelle's room early this morning to assist in a surgery, so went down to visit her since I had nothing better to do, only to find her room empty.

All her belongings were still here, including her phone, which I checked and saw no missed calls from Kay.

Now I had no idea where either of them were, and it unsettled me, a lot.

"Excuse me, do you know where the patient from room 238 is?"

"Oh, yeah, she has gone into surgery,"

"Surgery? What? With who?"

"Dr Hood,"

"That bastard,"

"I- um- I- it's for her liver,"

They turned on their heels and rushed off, so I headed to the board to find the OR. Once I knew which one she was in, I went down and got a mask on, bursting through the doors.

"Step away,"

"Good morning Ash,"

"Get the fuck off her,"

"No, we are closing up in a minute,"

"Why did you operate on her without our consent?"

"It was an emergency surgery,"

"Bullshit,"

"She was in a lot of pain, fluid keeps building up, she might get an infection, she can hardly move, your approach was too kind and slow. I am sorry Ash, but it's only a keyhole surgery,"

"Got off her," I said, my voice cracking, "She can't handle another surgery,"

"Dr Irwin, I can assure you,"-

"Shut up. I only want to hear from Cal, not anyone else,"

"Well you underestimate her strength, Ash. She's a trooper, she's remained stable enough,"

"How much blood did she lose?"

"Clearly not a dangerous amount. Please leave my OR,"

"You can't kick me out,"

"I just did,"

I huffed and went out, taking off my mask. Knowing she wouldn't wake up for a while, but would want Kay when she did, I headed out of the hospital and got in my car to go home and find her.

This was unusual behaviour, but perhaps she hadn't had the best sleep. I knew she was stressed about this all.

On the way, I stopped by a coffee shop and grabbed her a pastry and a coffee, then arrived back at home, only to find our drive empty.

To be sure, I checked inside and she wasn't here.

"Huh," I mumbled, "Weird,"

Knowing our luck, she probably set off while I was on my way, so I stood for a moment in our house, appreciating the silence. Being at the hospital was so loud, and chaotic, I never got a chance to breathe. Even less with Izz.