Chapter 15 - Sisterly Advice and Stolen Donuts

Matias POV

It had been a day since our little conversation in my room. And I can't lie, I've been floating since then. Just seeing his blush, his lips fighting to tilt upwards into a smile, him not flinching away from me as much, and when he held my gaze with the beautiful blue eyes. I was in whatever Heaven was out there. I knew that he might revert back to his shy, scared demeanor today when I went to see him, but there was always the hope that maybe something had changed. Maybe whatever he talked with Sam about that had his face the beautiful shade of red had somehow changed his mind.

Speaking of Sam, I'd cornered her after I'd left Daemon in my room for the night, nagging her to tell me what they talked about. All she did was that childish gesture of zipping her lips and "throwing away the key." I swear to the moon goddess I was going to kill this girl, sister or no. Andy also seemed to be in on some loop, because whenever the two were together, they just stared at me and snickered. I was going to put them on cleaning duty for a month is this kept up.

I paced around the house most of the day like I'd started doing since my mate came to the house. I'd sit at the long, oak table in the dining room with the others in my pack, except my leg would bounce uncontrollably, and I couldn't stay sitting. The other wolves just smiled, some laughing knowingly, and the few elders that stayed in the packhouse just patting the shoulder of my anxious form as they walked past. I think I was going insane.

Another problem on my radar, not that my mate was a problem of any sort, I had yet to tell my parents that we'd found him. I knew it was something I had to do soon because if I didn't they might just skin me alive, but I didn't want them to come rushing back from wherever in the world they were to meet my mate, my mate that didn't want to socialize. Especially with my parents.

After about five laps of pacing around the house, I finally collapsed onto a large, grey couch in the den. Sam just so happened to be lounging in one of the recliner chairs, shooting people up on some video game she seemed to love. I watched her for a bit, laughing as she easily overtook her opponents with a cocky grin on her face before she eventually paused the game and turned to me.

"So?" She asked as she raised her left eyebrow. I groaned as I let my head flop back against the couch, splaying my arms out like a child. I heard her snort but chose to ignore it.

"I don't know what to do," I whispered, staring at the ceiling. I honestly didn't. I wanted to be in there with him, holding him tight and whispering sweet words into his ears to soothe his worries and insecurities. I wanted to kiss his blushing face, feel his lips against mine. Honestly, just being able to give him a hug at this point would be a goddess-given blessing.

"I want to be there for him. I want to go up there and just stay there, but I know I can't do that. I know that he'll hate me for it, and try and run away again. So I have to give him space. I don't have a choice." I mumbled, rolling my head forward to look at my sister, who was staring down at her hands with a frown on her face. She let loose a small sigh before her eyes met mine.

"I don't know how you feel, and I'm not going to tell you it'll be fine cause I honestly don't know," She started, "but I think you're doing that right thing. Giving him time to adjust is what he needs. Whatever happened at his last pack obviously influenced his running away, and I think he's just scared." She held my eyes the entire time, her eyes holding a hint of concern. I sighed, my eyes finally leaving hers as they darted around the room, before stopping at my hands that now sat in my lap, my thumbs fiddling together.

"Just...whatever you're doing is fine. Don't push things, but don't back off. Hold on, for him." She finished, before standing and walking over to me, placing a rough hand on my shoulder. I looked up at her, and she gave me a soft smile before her hand was gone and she was walking out of the room.

"Oh and," I looked over to Sam, who was now standing in the doorway with a mischievous smile. I was immediately suspicious.

"I ate the last donut. That one you tried to hide." She grinned at me, revealing two perfect rows of shiny white teeth before she bolted from the room with a maniacal laugh. My eyes widened in surprise, and when I finally processed the information it was already too late. She was too far away for me to catch up and kick her ass.

"SON OF A BITCH, SAM!" I hollered as I stood from the couch, stomping out of the den. I heard her laughing from the other side of the house, and I snarled under my breath as I walked to the kitchen.

I stomped in and immediately went to one of the doors that opened up to the large pantry. The cooks that were currently there watched me with confusion, and just a little hint of amusement. They knew. I growled under my breath again as I threw one of the cabinet doors open, rummaging through the insane amount of snacks for where my donut should have been hidden. Sure as shit, it was gone. I slammed the cabinet door, effectively startling those in the kitchen. I sent a glare at them, and they all looked away as they attempted to hide their smiles.

"If I find out that anyone helps my sister steal my food again, they're on bathroom duty for a year," I growled, my voice holding only a threat that would be sure to come true. They all nodded seriously as I stomped my way out of the kitchen.

I paced around the house aimlessly again, not even realizing I was doing it. That was until I was back at the door to my room, hyping myself up to go in and talk to my mate again, try and convince him some more to talk to me, to trust me, to feel safe with me. I placed my hand on the doorknob and pushed it open.

My mate stood wide-eyed right in front of me, a look of surprise on his face, his hand raised as if he was going to open the door. I stared at him for a minute, before he broke eye contact and ducked his head down to stare at his feet, knotted blonde hair hiding his face from my view. I tilted my head to the side slightly, wondering what he was doing. Not that I had a problem with him wanting to leave the room, I just wished someone had been there to show him around. Preferably me. Guess I made it in time.

"I.." His soft voice barely squeaked out, his fingers wringing together as he tried to relay his message to me. I smiled softly as he looked up through his mop of hair and met my eyes. He immediately looked away, a light blush once again coating his porcelain skin.

"I w-was wondering if...I-I could see a-around." He mumbled, and I could see his blush darkening from behind his hair. A wide smile broke across my face, my wolf and I howling in joy because he was opening up just a little bit. That he at least was ready to come out of the room.

"Of course," I replied, the biggest smile I think I've ever had not fading from my face.