Chapter 34 - Talk

Daemon POV

I eventually was able to walk on my own about halfway to the door that led outside. I was a little shaky, but I figured it out. Matias and Jamie still didn't let go of my hands though, holding onto them as if when they let go I would fade away into dust or something. I wouldn't be surprised if I did...

Stepping out onto the patio, the pack silenced almost immediately. All eyes were currently on us, and I couldn't help the flush that rose up my face. Matias released my hand, wrapping his arm around my waist again. He lowered his head, whispering,

"It's alright. They don't blame you for anything." He raised his head and looked back at his pack, who were all watching us with guilty looks.

"He's alright. That is all that matters. Nobody was at fault for this, and measures are being taken. Everything is fine." My mate's voice was loud and clear, soothing, and you could tell that it helped calm the wolves a bit by their slumping shoulders and the collective sound of released breaths. Matias smiled warmly at his pack, then a look of shock crossed his face. I looked back out to the crowd, to see them all on one knee with their heads bowed. Even the kids.

"We're still terribly sorry, Alpha, Luna. We will do better to protect our pack." One of the men in the front said, and my eyes widened in shock. They think of me as their Luna, despite all the shit that I've done?

"Yes, we all will," Matias said, and the pack rose again. They looked at him one last time, and he smiled, and then they all continued doing whatever it was that they were doing. The parents went back to talking and cooking, the kids back to playing with each other in both wolf and human form, the teenagers doing their teenage things, etc. Matias, Jamie, and I watched out over them before Jamie stepped forward and pulled on my hand.

"Come on!" He looked at both of us with a wide smile on his face, and we let him pull us down the steps and into the crowd.

___

Most of the day was spent outside with the pack. Eating, laughing, getting to know people again. It was normal, and I loved it. People would come up and talk to Matias and me like nothing had ever happened, they talked to me like I hadn't been kidnapped and experimented on. They talked to me like they didn't know that I ran away for three years because I was scared of commitment. They talked to me like I was normal, and I felt normal. That was other than the occasional crying woman who came up and apologized profusely like it was their fault that I was taken. It wasn't, and I told them so. They still apologized though, promising to work harder and be stronger to not let it happen again. I just nodded and smiled, telling them it truly wasn't their fault, and then they walked away.

Jamie had stuck with us most of the time, and we played with him gladly. I played I spy with him from my spot on a beanbag, and Matias chased him around the yard with some of the other kids. Jamie also brought out his stuffed dinosaur, Timmy, along with another stuffed cat that he gave to me. I laughed when he insisted I have it, and I could feel my wolf watching from the back of my mind, snorting at the irony that he gave us a stuffed cat. It was kind of funny. I ended up naming the cat Tina.

Dinner was served eventually and everyone grabbed their plates of food, sitting or standing somewhere to eat. Matias got me some food, half of which I didn't finish, and Jamie sat down with us to eat. It was a quick dinner before Jamie had bolted away to run around the large field with some other kids. Matias sat with me as we watched him, his arm wrapped around my shoulders and pulling me into his side. It was comfortable.

When Jamie stumbled back to our resting spot, he collapsed into Matias's chest with a sigh, immediately curling into the warmth my mate offered. I laughed, and Matias smiled as he stood up, lifting the boy with him.