Chapter 12

I had given up trying to fight Cage anymore. We walked back up to the surface and got into a black minivan to join Cage into another one of his great adventures. Whoever he was talking to on the phone was who we were meeting. No one would tell me anything else.

The driver was an old, grumpy-looking man and nothing seemed to faze him. He drove without speaking or looking up from the road once. The black duffel bags were in the passenger seat. Heath was sitting next to Micheal in the middle seat and I was uncomfortably squished between Nick and Cage in the back.

Cage's mood took a visible turn for the worse after discovering what Jonah had done. I overheard them talking about hunting down this Jonah dude and making him pay for what he'd done. In other words, the same four people that I sat in this very car with were going to kill a man. It was a startling look into what the Crows stood for, what they did. The realization that I was hanging out with world class criminals that were wanted for numerous crimes that even television considered too harsh to portray hadn't quite settled in with me yet.

It was one whole day that I had been away from Fern. With her daughter, I hoped she wasn't going to worry about me. Fern didn't need to add me to the list of things that made her life harder than it should. Cage wouldn't let me talk to Fern or make any phone calls. After an hour of trying, I gave up.

For some reason, next to the first aid kit in the trunk, there was also a sewing kit so I began to teach Nick how to sew. It went a little something like this:

"November, why are you making me do this? This is considered a form of torture in some countries, you know. I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Ow, I fucking stabbed my finger. I am bleeding. November, I am bleeding. Can we stop? This is stupid. There is literally no situation where I will need to sew. Dammit, I am a criminal, I don't need to- stop hitting me!"

"Nobody's going to help you when your pants rip and you have your tightey-whiteys displayed for the whole world to see. Make a knot. No, a knot. Tie the string. No, tighter than that. It has to be bigger than the needle, Nick! A knot. Stop tangling it up! That's not helping. All you literally need to do is make a knot. A knot, Nick!"

"This is bullying and I will not stand for it-"

Cage's fists were clenched. As Nick tried to fix the tangled mess of string in his hands, I glanced at him. He was staring hard at the ground, a look of hard concentration on his face. Cage had mastered the art of feigning emotions. He played with feelings and emotions because he had none. His jaw tightened when he saw me watching him. Blushing, I bought my attention back to Nick.

"You know what?" I took the embroidery loop from Nick. He had been trying to sew a flower into the fabric but manged to create something that distinctly looked like a penis. "Let's just stop. You will never be able to do this." 

The look of relief on Nick's face as I began to tuck everything back into the box again was almost worth the struggle I had endured to teach him. I patted his cheek nicely in an attempt to make up for his pricked fingers, feeling bad for putting him through that.

Nick could balance a blade on his fingers but when it came to needles, he was outie like a belly button.

Cage looked very bored so I decided to bother him instead. "What's up, buttercup?" I grinned at him when he returned my greeting with a cold glare. "What's the deal, banana peel? What's shakin', bacon- sorry, I'm done now. How far away is this place? We've been driving for hours."

"It's been thirty minutes." His voice was tinged with a dark frustration. "November, you don't do drugs, do you?"

"Of course not. Why do you ask?"