Chapter 49

Standing on my tippy toes, I peered over Cage's shoulder. "On a scale of one to ten, how useful would a fire extinguisher be right now?"

"Negative five." was his blunt reply. Cage stared at the flickering flames. They were making their way to the ceiling, the blazing wavy effect making my head spin. The sharp stench of burning things made my nose burn. Half of the room had already burned and the fire was reaching its hot fingers right towards us. Cage pulled the door closed.

"Well, fuck." He said. He stared at me for a couple seconds. I stared back, trying to soothe the panic in my chest. I hated fire. I hated it with an absolute passion. I might even hate it more than Romeo. Fire killed my parents. Fern hated fire just as much as I did. We were the female equivalents to Frankenstein when it came to burning, except with the whole, you know...mismatched body parts.

Grrr, fire bad...and whatever.

It took me a moment to realize that Cage was so silent because, for the first time in forever (nice Frozen reference, November), he had no idea what to do. Seeing Cage as the brilliant mastermind behind every plan, the only man in the world who could charm snakes (sorry, snake charmers), did create some irrational expectations of him. I had to remember that Cage was just as human as I was.

''Seriously, there is a fire extinguisher right there." I pointed to the glass shelf holding one by the door.

"That's not gonna help, November."

"You haven't even tried it." I argued uselessly.

"I don't need to to know it's not going to work. The fire's spread too much." Cage growled. As if on cue, a crashing noise came from inside the room. The hospital floors were already breaking. Somewhere in the distance, the wail of fire trucks resonated throughout the night. With the roar of helicopters and the shouts of people from outside along with the crackling of the fire, I could barely think.

I grabbed Cage's shoulder and pulled him down to my height. "There is gunpowder upstairs!"

Cage gently pried my fingers off his shoulder and wrapped his own around them. "Yes, I understand that."

"Really? Because I kinda get the feeling you don't."

"No, I do." He said quietly. "Which is exactly why we need to go back on to the roof."

"What for?"

"Let's go." He didn't bother supplying me with an answer, which I suppose was most often the case. I was more than willing to let Cage drag me along. We went back the way we came, checking each corner for any signs of Romeo's men. I think they had all gone back to the roof. For the life of me, I could only cling on to the barest hope of fighting skill that Nick and Heath were alive. I couldn't care less about anyone else. I already lost Micheal. I couldn't lose anyone else.

"Where's Fern?" I asked as we made our way up the staircase.

"Heath took her to Polly Heights. Diana is with her. Don't worry, I sent some of my men to look after them. Polly Heights is a safehouse, like the one in Delia's. It's underground and on the shores Columbia River." Cage replied. "We're going there as soon as I can get you out of here."

"What about Nick and Heath?" I had to huff and puff and take four strides to every two of his just to keep up. "What happens to them? I mean...they're up there. What if they're already dead?"

"Tough luck."

"Cage!"

"November, my concern is not with them at the moment." Cage suddenly stopped at the top of the landing, turning around to face me. I was on the second to last step, which only added to his height. His fingers touched my chin gently. "In about five minutes, this whole building is going up in flames. Unless you want the same fate as your parents, we need to go."