Chapter 39

What do you do when you find yourself waking up locked in a basement with a man who saved your life ten years ago by a group of crazy murderous clowns who worked for the man who killed your parents ten years ago? Well, you most certainly don't burst out into an epic dance number complete with Justin Bieber. You also shouldn't break your wrist trying to remove the handcuffs the crazy killer clowns put on you, like I just did.

"Oh my God!" I clutched my broken wrist, wincing with pain. It hurt so bad.

Heath stared at me with distaste. "What did you think was gonna happen, stupid?"

He was chained to the wall like I was, feet tied and gag that he spent the last ten minutes removing around his neck. The room we were in was a basement and I knew that because the sounds of a fully functioning restaurant came from above us. The doors were heavy locked with chains. The walls we sat against were brick and covered in dirt. Other than a few crates and some discarded trash around the room, there was nothing around that could help either of us. At least none of the clowns were here.

"I thought it'd break." I rubbed my sore wrist, frowning.

"Your wrist?"

"No, the handcuffs!"

"Yeah well, you broke your damn wrist instead of the cuffs." Heath rolled his eyes. A spot of blood collected on the collar of his white button down from the tranquilizer dart.

"Wait!" I gasped, remembering something very crucial to my survival at the moment. I touched my neck where Rainbow Clown had injected me with the third dose. "That synthetic sedative created in Argentina. They injected me with it after you passed out, it was my third time. Cage said that after the third dose, the experiments they did on people ended badly. Everyone who was injected with it three times died after that...why- how? How am I not dead then? If it was the third time I've been-"

"November, I don't know." Heath said with frustration. "And honestly, I don't give a fuck. You're alive, focus on that. Questions come later. Right now, we need to find a way to get out of here before Romeo's men come back. Can you slip your hands out of the cuffs? They're pretty small but so are your hands."

"I tried that already." I made a face at Heath, wiggling the fingers of my broken wrist at him. Pain began to flash through again so I quickly stopped. The cuffs were attached with chain to the wall and our feet were tied, so we were basically helpless.

"Do you have a gun?" Heath asked.

"In what universe would I, November Jones, have a gun?" I snapped. "Oh yeah, of course I have a gun. I shoved it down my bra before they injected me with a sedative that might just kill me anytime now. Let me just pull it out and we're home free. Moron."

Heath glared at me. "You're so annoying, shut up."

"That's cute...coming from the man who got taken down by a little blue dart."

"I'd like to kill you but I'll let the clowns do the honours for me."

"Shut up, you're annoying." I echoed Heath's words back to him.

He sighed heavily and tugged on the chains, making a racket. I was about to tell Heath to stop making so much noise when pattering of footsteps above made us both freeze. We waited with bated breath and much to both our relief, the footsteps walked away. Heath began pulling on his cuffs again. I don't know what he was trying to do but it seemed to be working. The shackle base attached to the brick wall loosened just a tiny bit, but stopped after that.

Heath cursed under his breath and leaned back against the wall. "So would you like to continue the conversation we were having before?"

I picked at the chain links, swallowing noisily. As much as I hated to bring it up again, I had to know why Heath did what he did and how he felt about that night. I didn't remember anyone pulling Fern and I out of the car. Did I just not remember Heath because I was too traumatized by seeing my parents burned alive? Why did that one part of the memory not come back to me? A Crow, a member of the world's most lethal criminal organizations saved my life. It sounded utterly ridiculous, didn't it?