Chapter seventeen

My head was laying on her lap while she was gently brushing my hair.

The consuming fire in the hearth caused the logs to crack gently.

The woman was softly humming a song, my eyes felt heavier with each passing second.  

I didn't want this moment to pass by because something deep inside me knew I wouldn't see the her again.

"I think it's bedtime little one, you seem tired," her angelic voice says.

"I don't want to sleep mom, big girls stay up late," I whined.

"I can't believe my baby is turning six next week, you will be a grown up before you know it," my mother sighed. 

I giggled at her and sat up, so I was facing her. 

"Even when I'm grown up, we're going to stay together. Pinky promise!"

Her warm brown eyes met mine, and she gave me a bright smile before locking her pinky with mine.

"I promise we will stay together forever."

I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Have you already thought about what you want for your birthday?" she asked. 

"I want a brother or a sister, so we can play together!" I practically yelled. 

When I looked at my mother, I saw that her eyes became glossy.

"I'm so sorry Luna," was all she had said.

I didn't understand why she was suddenly upset and apologizing.

"Why are you sad mommy?" I asked her while grabbing her hand.

"When you're old enough I will explain it to you," she said with a cracked voice.

I quickly gave her a super tight hug, I don't like when she's crying.

"Don't cry mommy," I mumbled in her neck. 

She wrapped her arms around my torso and gently puts her head on top of mine. 

"We will see them again, till then it's just you and me against the world princess," she said so quietly that I hardly understood.

She was brushing my hair again, and this time I didn't fight to stumble into the darkness. 

My eyes shot open, and I jolted awake. 

Confusedly, I took in my surroundings with my hand on my chest, my heart was racing.

Tears were staining my already wet cheeks. 

After a few minutes I realized I had just woken up in my bedroom, it was just a dream. 

No, not a dream, a memory. 

I took the frame that was standing on my night stand. The picture was taken at the zoo when I was around six years old. 

Mom and I were standing before the giraffes, my favourite animal at the time, when mom asked a stranger to take a picture.

She was the most beautiful woman to ever walk on this earth, from the inside and the outside.

It was cruel from the universe to take her away from me. We had a promise to stay together forever, but she broke it. 

The tears were never ending, and were still falling from my eyes. 

I checked the time on my phone and saw that it was 4am, but I also saw the date.

Twelve September, her anniversary. 

I refused to go back to sleep, I don't even think it's possible even if I tried.