Chapter 28

It was the day that Jane and the Gardeners would be returning back to Canada. The house was a flurry of action as everyone helped out in the packing process. Cassie and Edward were packing their belongings with the help of Anne, while William and Georgiana had managed to wrangle the Gardner children into their rooms to finish their packing. It was definitely a shock to most of the residents of the house when they witnessed both Darcy siblings leading a train of children as they all marched towards the bedrooms. Finally, Elizabeth was helping her sister with her packing so that they could have one final sister chat before Jane had to leave and that is what is happening right now.

“I still cannot believe how fast these weeks went by, Lizzie. It feels like I just got here.” commented Jane.

“I know, Jane. It was so nice to see you in person.” Lizzie then gave her sister a teasing smirk. “However, I think the reason that you feel like it has gone by too fast is because you were too busy staring into Charles’ eyes to even notice.” She laughed.

Jane blushed. “Lizzie! Stop teasing me! If I remember correctly, I believe I wasn’t the only one enjoying my time with a man here. I can think of more than one occasion where I have had to snap you out of a daydream.”

“Oh you are right there, Jane. I am so unbelievably happy. I never thought it was possible to be this happy in a relationship, but Will has managed to prove me wrong in the best way possible. I hope you are just as happy as me.”

“Well, I can tell you that I am happy with Charles as well.”

“Good. Have you talked about how you are going to make this relationship work when you both are so far apart?”

“Yes we have. Obviously we will be keeping in contact as much as possible, but we have also planned to have him come see me in our hometown next month. That way he can meet our family. Speaking of which, when are you going to introduce William to the rest of the family?”

“Well, I guess I should probably tell them before I show up on their doorstep with him.” Laughed Lizzie, but Jane could tell that her sister was nervous.

“What’s wrong? Why haven’t you told them yet?”

“I just...I am nervous about how they will react. I have already told you about some of the stuff mom has said to me since I came here and I am worried that it will be worse once she knows about Will. He has been amazing through all of that drama and I really don’t want him to have to deal with mom. I’m scared that he will see how insane our family is and end our relationship.” When Lizzie saw that Jane was about to protest, she continued. “And I know you are going to tell me that William loves me and wouldn’t do that, but I really don’t want mom to be improper. I care about him too much.”

Jane just wraps her arms around Elizabeth and tries to sooze her. “I know that you are worried, but I promise you that everything will be alright. You said that Will has been with you through all of this drama, so what makes you think that he won’t be now. I have seen how much he loves you and Lizzie, there is nothing that he wouldn’t do for you. Besides, you are going to have to introduce him eventually. Why not just get it out of the way.”

“You’re right. I’ll talk to him about it. Thank you.”

“You don’t need to thank me. I’m just being your older sister. If you ever have any doubts you can always talk to me.”

“I know.”

“There has been something that I have been meaning to ask you.”

“What is it?”

“Well, this is your last year in university. Where are you going to live after?”

“I guess I haven’t really thought about it with everything else that has been going on. I think that I want to stay here in London so that I can be close to Will, but I will have to talk to him and find somewhere to stay, since I will no longer be a student.”

“I’m sure everything will work out.”

“Hopefully.”

~~~

After long tearful goodbyes, the guests were gone and the Darcys and Elzabeth were back at the Darcy house. At the moment, Lizzie and Will were in the living room as Georgiana and Anne were making dinner. This was when Elizabeth decided to broach the topic of her family and what she will do after university.

“Will?”

“Yes, Lizzie?”

“I have some things that I need to talk about with you.”

“Ok, what is it?”

“Well first, Jane and I were talking about it and I think that it would be a good idea to introduce you to my family. We can tell them over the phone, but I also want to go visit them with you so that they can all see how wonderful you are. What do you say?”

He put his arm around her since he could tell that she was nervous asking him. “I know that your family is very important to you, so I would love to meet them. What if we were to call them tomorrow to tell them about us and then visit in the summer? That way I can take some time off work and you would have finished university so we can visit them as long as you want?”

“That sounds perfect Will. Thank you. I love you!” She gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

“Well that’s one matter settled. What the rest?”

“The other thing I wanted to talk to you about has to do with when I finish school.”

“Ok?”

“Since I will be finishing school soon, I need to start to plan what I want to do with my life and I also need to find a job and a place to stay. I wanted to talk to you because I was thinking that it would be a good idea if I stay in London so that we can stay together and I wanted your opinion.”

“I was actually going to talk to you about that too. I am so glad that you want to stay in London because I don’t know what I would do if you lived far away. Relating to finding a job, I had an idea. Since you have already been working at Pemberley, I wanted to know if you would like to continue there permanently? You already do so much for the company and I know you would be a great addition to the permanent staff. It also is a bonus that I get to see you at work. What do you think about it?”

“Will, you really mean that?”

“Of course I do. Why wouldn’t I want to work with you?”

“I...I’m speechless.”

“Does that mean you’ll take the offer?”

“Yes!”

“Perfect, and about where you could live. I was also wondering if you wanted to continue living here. We all love having you here and you are part of the family.”

“Will, I would love to continue living here, but are you sure? I don’t want to impose on your life.”

“Lizzie, you wouldn’t be imposing. I love you and there is nothing that I would love more than having you stay here. You make this house feel alive again and you have brought Georgie out of her shell so much since you’ve been here. We have you to thank for so much so let this be a way of doing that.”

“That means so much. Alright, I’ll stay.”

“You mean it?”

“Yeah, I’ll stay.”

They both hugged each other tightly before going to tell Anne and Georgie the news.