Chapter 1

Elizabeth Bennet, or Lizzie to her friends, had a problem. No, not what your thinking. It really isn't a big deal. She has a family, who although might not be the most supportive in her endeavors, but nonetheless they love her. She also has friends who support her in every crazy scheme she comes up with. 

Her family really was a complicated topic. While her older sister, Jane, was amazing and perfect in every sense of the word, and her father would sit with her in his study for hours on end simply reading, the rest of her in her family was somewhere else. Her mother, constantly berading her that she can't stay an unmarried lady forever and must attach herself to a handsome and rich young man, even though she was living comfortably in a small apartment near her university, it was not enough for her mom. Mrs. Bennet would constantly set up dates for her daughters with all of the most eligible young men in their small town of Longbourn, Saskatchewan. Elizabeth didn't agree with her methods at all. 

Why does she have to have to base her life around finding a man? She's 21! She was studying communications at university.

 Her sisters weren't any less silly. 

The third oldest sister, Mary, was constantly studying or playing the piano. She definitely wasn't the silliest but she refused to do anything but. Then, there were her 2 youngest sisters who didn't care one wit about school or anything work-related. They were constantly partying and drinking and making a complete show of themselves. Lydia, the youngest, was just 16 while Katie, was 17. But that was enough about her family. 

Back to her problem. Lizzie was given an amazing opportunity to study at the University of London as an international exchange student. It truly was an amazing opportunity that she still couldn't believe she has been given. She has already worked out almost all the details except one. She can't find anywhere affordable to stay. 

Since she is a student living off of limited funds, she can't afford to stay in the dorms offered and it is too short notice to find a more affordable option. It really wasn't her fault that it was such short notice. The day she received her letter reply, her mother was visiting and decided that school was pointless and that it would do Elizabeth good if she stayed at home and found a husband. Luckily, her dear sister Jane found the letter and immediately accepted the offer.

Now, she was researching possible options for houses, apartments, and rooms for rent. She was due to leave in 2 weeks and only mildly panicking. She was sure she could find somewhere to stay. It doesn't have to have a five-star rating. As long as it's livable.

While scrolling through possible listings, she stumbled across what looked like a possible option.

'Guest suite: available for international students looking for affordable living options. Price to be discussed when contacted'

Elizabeth looked through the other information and pictures of the suite. The place looked pretty perfect and she was interested to learn more information. So, she picked up her phone and dialed the number provided in the add. After a few rings, she got an answer.

"Hello?" came a female english voice. The woman sounded sweet and inviting.

"Hello, I was hoping to inquire more about the guest suite for rent?" replied Elizabeth.

"Yes, I assumed. It's so nice that someone has taken an interest. Well, why don't I start by giving some more information about the suite and then you can ask some more questions if you're interested" the woman explained. 

"Yes, that would be great." Elizabeth agreed.

"Okay perfect!" her voice was enthusiastic, which gave Lizzie a good feeling. "Well, the suite is pretty standard. It has a bedroom, bathroom, and a small private sitting room. It's located in the guest wing of our house which means you will not be disturbed while doing work. Even though there's a sitting room in your suite, you are more than welcome to come join my family in our family rooms. You will be invited for meals with my family, but don't always feel pressure to attend. Listening to your accent, I doubt you live in the UK and therefore don't have a car so you are more than welcome to use one of ours. Although, most of the universities in the area are either walking distance or easily reached with public transport. I'm pretty sure that covers most of the initial details. Do you have any questions?"

"This seems like a perfect option and if you agree, I would be very interested. I only have one major question. On the website, it mentions something about the price being discussed when contacted?" asked Lizzie.

"Oh yes! How could I forget?! I'm sorry, this might sound impertinent but what are you studying?"

"I'm studying communications, ma'am" she answered, slightly confused by the question.

"Well this is perfect! It couldn't be any more so if I tried. What I mean when asking about what you're studying is that the suite is free on one condition. My family owns many companies throughout London and we usually make a deal with the tenants that if they do an internship at one of the companies, the rent is free. Since you said you study communications, you would intern at our main company called Pemberley inc. which is run by my son. If you decide to stay here we could go over further details when you arrive. Also, no need to call me ma'am. My name is Anne Darcy"

"Wow, this really sounds amazing. I really am interested. Is there an application I have to fill out online?"

"No, I like to talk to my boarders on the phone so I can get a taste of their personality and you seem very respectful. So, if you're sure, you are most welcome to stay with us. You would have to sign some paperwork about your internship when you get here but that will be handled by the company." finished Mrs. Darcy.

"Thank you so much for the room and the internship. I don't quite know what to say." sighed a relieved Elizabeth.

"Is that a yes?" questioned Mrs. Darcy.

"Yes! Absolutely" Lizzie exclaimed gratefully.

"Perfect. I just need some more personal details like the university you're going to be attending so that I can verify your studies"

For another 10 minutes, Lizzie and Mrs. Darcy shared more information about school and themselves to get better acquainted with each other. Elizabeth no longer has to worry about the task of finding a room. This seems to be the best possible option she could come up with. Just 2 weeks until she can meet the wonderful Mrs. Darcy.