Finale

Lydia had warned Spencer of the reaction he was going to get when he walked into the office that morning for a case. She knew the team pretty well, if she did say so herself. And she was totally right, but Spencer would never tell her that, nor would anyone get the chance, as the whole conversation was upstaged by a completely different topic.

Stepping into the conference room just a little bit late, JJ and Garcia saw Spencer in the door and stopped their briefing distractedly.

"Well, hello," JJ teased, causing everyone to turn around and check out whatever had caught her off guard.

Spencer's old (and in Lydia's opinion, annoyingly long) hair was gone, being replaced by a shaggy and much shorter style.

He shot everyone a tight smile, sitting down quickly as if that might make them go back to the briefing, but everyone took another second to stare at his head and wonder if they missed something. I mean, why suddenly change your hairstyle if not due to some sort of emotional turmoil?

"What, did you join a boyband?" Hotch said, almost jokingly, but his voice was slightly too stern.

Morgan gave up his facade and let his chuckles loose, the rest of the team breaking out into smiles as well.

"No," Spencer responded. "I was trying something out, since Lydia wants my hair short for the wedding."

That shut them up fast.

"You popped the question?! Reid, man, you gotta tell us these things!" Morgan exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"We thought it'd be funny to follow our lying routine and wait a few weeks to mention it," Reid replied with a shrug.

That's when the rest of the team seemed to catch on, JJ especially freaking out over the news. "Weeks??!? Spencer, how could you? You got engaged and just failed to mention it?"

"Tell us everything!" Emily interrupted. "Did you get down on a knee?"

"Guys-" Hotch tried to get them on track, but it was no use.

"I can have her come in when we get back to show off the ring," Spencer offered.

"How much did you spend on it?" Rossi asked, more out of curiosity than concern.

"Where will you guys have the wedding?" Garcia chimed in, rushing around the table to pull Spencer into a hug from behind his chair. "Here in DC? Or in a destination spot?"

"Team!" Hotch demanded. "We need to be briefed and get on the jet as soon as possible."

Everyone was serious from then on. Or, at least, they were all holding their questions until the jet. None of them even noticed or heard Hotch lean over and whisper a quick "congratulations" to the genius, but it felt fitting for the unit chief to be the first of the team to say it.

~ ~ ~

"You aren't allowed to take Spencer wedding dress shopping!" JJ teased as the four girls headed to their first stop of the day.

"Wait, you were planning on bringing Reid?" Penelope laughed, light filtering through her newly dyed, red hair.

"Well, I was, until Jayje told me it was forbidden or something," Lydia replied, trying to keep up while also answering work emails on her phone. "I thought the whole 'seeing the wedding dress before the wedding' was just a dumb superstition."

"Oh no, it is," Emily assured her. "But it's pretty damn funny that you think Reid would be any help in picking out clothes."

Lydia shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, it's his wedding day, too. I think we should both have a say in what it looks like."