Lessons Learned (S2E10)

"Hotch?" Lydia asked as she picked up the phone that morning. It wasn't even 7 yet and Gideon was always the one to call her about a new case.

"Lydia, I need you in the office as soon as possible. We believe there may be a planned terrorist attack within the next 48 hours."

"Can you give me any details?" She was already jumping up, throwing on her shoes.

"DEA found what was possibly a dispersal device for a chemical weapon. But they aren't sure what the chemical agent is. We have a member of the supposed plot in Guantanamo Bay that Gideon and Reid are going to question. I need you to help search and determine what their weapon is."

"Yes, sir," she replied. "On my way now."

~ ~ ~

Lydia didn't even look around the room upon entering the bullpen, instead heading straight for Hotch. He was talking with Gideon on the second level.

"This is an interrogation, not a training exercise," Gideon was saying, hurriedly. He had his go bag in one hand.

"She's the only member of the team fluent in arabic," Hotch said.

Lydia stepped up beside them. "Someone's fluent in arabic?"

"Why can't I take Lydia with me?" Gideon demanded, missing her question. "We've discussed having her try interrogation techniques."

Lydia couldn't help her scoff. "No way. I'm not going to interrogate my first suspect in Guantanamo. And I'm here for my chemical expertise. What could I do from Guantanamo?"

Gideon sighed. "Does she even have a ready bag, yet?"

"My guess is there isn't much this woman's unprepared for."

Lydia raised an eyebrow. "Who are we talking about?"

Hotch nodded down to the bullpen, where a dark-haired woman was standing. She looked somewhat awkward, a go bag underneath her arm. Lydia knew that the team was going to need to search for new agents after Elle's disappearance, but no one had warned her that they'd found one.

She pushed past her bosses to go introduce herself to the new woman.

"Hi." She smiled, holding out her hand. "I'm Lydia Ambers. I'm a contracted forensic scientist for the BAU."

"Emily," she greeted. "Prentiss. You're... terribly young looking, if you don't mind me saying,"

"Not at all," Lydia responded. "I hear you know arabic. Impressive."

Gideon brushed past the two of them. "Car leaves in 4 minutes," he told Emily.

"Yes, sir."

Lydia rolled her eyes, seeing his impatient attitude shine through. "He's rough when he's upset. Don't let it get to you."

She smiled and nodded, relieved to find a friend in the team. Lydia would have kept talking to her, if it weren't for Spencer calling her away. She apologized before meeting her boyfriend at his desk.

"What's up?"

"Uh..." He glanced off. Clearly he wanted to say something personal, but was worried about getting caught. "Just, uh... Be careful?"

She smirked. "Always am. Have fun in Guantanamo."

He looked down, bashfully. "Lydia, I'm being serious. Terrorist threats are bad news. As a crime scene investigator, you're in the middle of it."

"I won't do anything stupid," she reassured him. "You be careful, too. Don't piss off the CIA."

He chuckled, slightly, picking up his go bag to leave. "It's Gideon I'm worried about."