Mayhem (S4E1)

"We're getting reports that an explosion has rocked a neighborhood in the vicinity of the Federal Plaza-"

Lydia's heart dropped into her stomach.

"Authorities have closed down the entire area and are not going to give any information at this time. And with eight suspicious incidents in as little as three weeks, we have no room but to speculate whether or not there will be more attacks. We have no word yet on any injuries, but with the explosion heard as far away as Prince Street, an unconfirmed report said it was a car bomb..."

"Hotch isn't answering," Spencer told her, from the passenger street.

Lydia was rushing to the second meeting location. It was something they had set up in case the New York office was unreachable and with a bomb going off in Federal Plaza, unreachable was an understatement.

"No JJ. Trying Morgan."

Please pick up. Morgan. Prentiss. Somebody. Pick up the phone.

They had just finished speaking with the Port Authority police when the news broke. Luckily, Lydia was able to reach their backup location and run in, Spencer on her heels. Rossi stood in front of an evidence board, his eyes on a TV screen across the room.

"Rossi!" Lydia called. "We heard about it on the radio. We've tried almost everybody, but--"

"The cell phone system is crashing."

"Did they say where the bomb was?" Spencer asked.

"No."

"Shit," Lydia mumbled. "That's just... shit."

"Breaking news now." They all spun to the TV. "We are just getting an update. The bomb is now reported to have been inside an SUV. A black SUV parked just blocks from 26 Federal Plaza."

Rossi's hand went to the phone, dialing so fast Lydia's head was spinning.

"Agent Rossi? We heard there was some kind of explosion." Penelope sounded winded over the speaker phone.

"Where are you?"

"I just walked into the CCTV command post."

"Can you see anything?"

"I literally just walked through the door, sir."

"Garcia, a black SUV just became shrapnel mere blocks from Federal Plaza," Lydia said into the phone.

There was a pause. The gravity of the situation seemed to be hitting her. "Oh, god."

"Do you have eyes there?" Rossi demanded.

Finally, she seemed to snap back into herself and got to work. "Yeah... Yeah. I've got, like, 300 cameras right there. Give me a sec."

"Reid and Ambers are okay, but we don't know where anyone else is. And, Garcia-"

"Yes, sir?"

"Find them."

~ ~ ~

"Federal Plaza. 26 Federal Plaza. Why?" Spencer mumbled.

The map of New York he was given was transparent, and Lydia watched him stare at all the little marks he'd made in Expo marker through the other side.

"Garcia had us on conference and the system crashed," Emily said as she rushed into the room.

JJ was right behind her. "Emily!"

She flipped around and breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank god you're alright. Where's Will?"