「 Chapter 8 」

As the weeks went by, Matthew became increasingly impatient. His love for his mate grew stronger every day; he began to find it hard to control his ardent desires. Each time she talked to him, he wanted to taste her lips, and whenever they would lay in bed together, he felt like running his hands all over her body.

Madeline, on the other hand, was still painfully oblivious to his feelings. She constantly mistook his displays of affection for friendship. A strange sensation would grow in her heart every time he'd hold her close, compliment her, or give her gifts, but she could not understand what it was.

A smile formed on her lips as she remembered the conversation they had this morning.

...

"Do you like this dress?" She asked, twirling around in his office. Matthew was busy doing paperwork at his desk.

"I told you you're not allowed to come in here while I'm working," He responded, not even glancing at her.

She sulked, walking in front of him. "But why? I'm so bored, and I haven't seen you all day."

He finally looked up at her. His eyes immediately darkened as they raked her petite figure, taking in every detail. He could hear his wolf howling in his head, clouding his mind with racy thoughts. His eyes reached her face to see that cute little smile that melted his heart every time.

"Is it nice? I made it myself." Madeline wasn't sure what he was thinking; his face was completely emotionless, but something in his eyes seemed different.

He studied her from head-to-toe one more time, before finally answering:

"You are a doll."

"A doll?" She did not quite understand what he meant. "Why?"

"When I first saw you, I almost couldn't believe you were real. You're just too pretty."

She felt her face flame up when her mind processed his words. Madeline wasn't the type to ever get shy and awkward, but his compliment got her flustered. This was the first time he's ever called her pretty. She opened her mouth to speak, but did not know how to respond. Her heart started beating faster when he got up from his chair, approaching her.

"I-I'm distracting you from your work aren't I? I should leave," She stammered, turning around to dash out of his office. He did not try to stop her, but a small smile crept on his face seeing her reaction to his compliment as he watched her run out.

...

Madeline buried her face in her pillow to hide her smile. "He thinks I'm pretty," She sighed dreamily. She had been called pretty many times before, but it felt so different coming from Matthew. Once she finally got over herself, she strolled downstairs to see Edith.

"So, what's there to do today?"

"Nothing, really. I just finished packing Alpha's suitcase and he left for his trip."

"What trip?"

"He didn't tell you? He's leaving for a week." Madeline blinked, her eyebrows creasing in disbelief. Matthew was going away for a week and he didn't even tell her?

"... What?"

"He has an important meeting with another Alpha. I don't really know the details, but I won't be having much work to do here for the next week."

"Oh... Okay, thank you." Madeline forced a smile, making her way back up the stairs and flopping down on the bed. She was shattered that he'd just leave like that, even if it was only for a week. Silent tears trailed down her cheeks. She knew it was foolish to cry over this, but then again, she always cried over foolish things. Shortly afterwards, she fell asleep with the lights still on, feeling particularly cold without Matthew's touch.