「 Chapter 11 」

Matthew glanced at his watch impatiently. "Is she ready yet?"

A ball was taking place this day to celebrate the integration of the two Packs and bring them closer. He was not fond of such large parties, but being the Alpha, he was obliged to attend.

"Sorry for making you wait, Alpha." The stylist hurriedly pushed Madeline out the bedroom, giving some final touches to her hair.

His jaw almost dropped when caught a glimpse of her. She wore a stunning, strapless blue dress, her hair styled in an elegant updo. She warmly thanked the stylist, before stepping down the stairs, being careful to not trip over the gown. Matthew kept his eyes on her the entire time, not blinking as she approached him.

She looked down at her gown, smoothing it with her hands. "Do you like it? I've never worn a dress this pretty before."

Taking a step closer, he softly tipped up her chin, locking their gaze. He noticed her makeup; nothing too apparent, but it accentuated her already pretty features even more. His eyes lingered on her lips for a moment, before he answered:

"You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen." He was truly amazed that such a lovely thing was created just for him.

Madeline felt a rush of blood in her cheeks. His wolf grew wild as she subconsciously bit her lip. It took every bit of self-control he had to not kiss her right there.

"Thank you," She mumbled, timidly casting her stare to the ground.

He held out his hand to her, which she courteously took. Madeline couldn't help but marvel at how large his hands were; hers was so comparatively small, it was completely hidden within his fingers.

——————————

"Stay here, I'll be right back," Matthew instructed, sitting his mate down on a chair. She nodded obediently, watching him disappear into the crowd.

Once he was out of sight, she sighed, propping her elbows onto the table and leaning into her hands. This ball was not as entertaining as she expected; Matthew kept leaving her alone to talk to other people, ordering her to not roam around. She felt so lonely, at this point, she'd be willing to talk to anyone.

The dance hall caught her attention. Numerous couples were dancing, holding each other close, eyes glimmering with love. Her mind wandered as she envisioned herself dancing with Matthew, wishing he'd look at her the same way.

"Hello there," A voice beside her spoke. "It's a shame that such a beautiful girl is sitting here alone."

Madeline turned her head to the stranger. He seemed much younger than Matthew; perhaps the same age as her. Judging by his outfit and the tray in his gloved hand, carrying two champagne glasses, she guessed he was a butler.

He offered her a glass. "Care for a drink with me?"

She wanted to refuse, but she was pleased that somebody was finally speaking to her, and did not want him to leave. So, she hesitantly grabbed the glass, flashing him a benign smile.

"Is this going to get me drunk?" She wondered out loud, staring at the yellowish liquid.

He chuckled, taking a seat in the chair next to her. "Well, you don't seem to be having much fun sober. It's a ball, enjoy yourself."

"Hmm... Maybe you're right." Bringing the glass up to her lips, she took a sip. It tasted sweet and bubbly.

"Oliver!" Another butler called out. "Stop flirting with the guests, the chef's looking for you!" The boy was pulled out of his seat. He gave the young girl an apologetic look.