「 Chapter 24 / Epilogue 」

The water gently travelled down the stream, springing over the limestone rocks along its path. Each droplet glimmered like thousands of infinitesimal diamonds as they reflected the sun's glare. Standing peacefully in the background, the birch groves bestowed a pleasant shade to the girl who sat in the garden, staring at the river thoughtfully.

Madeline's investiture was to take place soon; she would officially become the Luna of the Mystic Moon Pack.

Such an event should be thrilling, but she could not help but brood over it. "Will my Pack accept me?" When she was a human not long ago, the werewolves had all regarded her with disdain, refusing to speak to her or even glance in her direction.

Not to mention, she was not a werewolf herself. How can a direwolf and a former human ever fit in, let alone be their Luna?

She doesn't belong here with us.

Absentmindedly, her gaze drifted to the birch grove. Amid the white branches, she saw a small, ginger cat. Though it was evidently not Mittens, her mind wandered to the familiar. No matter what body he may be in, he would always remain the same person on the inside.

The realization hits her; she is not just a former human, or a direwolf, or the Alpha's mate.

She is simply Madeline.

Endlessly searching for your true self through insubstantial labels only further impairs your sense of identity, making you feel more and more dissociated from yourself than before. We each have our own singular, complex identity, and you will never succeed in emulating anyone else's. The only way to come to terms with this is by accepting that you cannot conform to society's standards; and that is not a bad thing.

Laying down in the roses, Madeline smiled up at the sky as she felt the constant worries that had tormented her throughout her life fading away. At last, she was at peace with herself.

"Maybe I don't 'fit in', but that doesn't mean I don't belong."

The End.

a/n : did i really just pull an emotional paragraph about self-acceptance and identity out of nowhere to make this ending seem deep and meaningful? uh no that is so corny why would i ever do that-

but yeah, this story finally over. thank you all so much for taking the time to read this. i truly treasure every single vote, comment, and follow. you mean the world to me.

considering this is my first story i've published on here, i was really not expecting it to do so well. but as of today (4/4/21), this has 30 000+ views and 1 500+ votes. for a book that was not planned out properly at all and barely has a coherent plot, that is incredible. 

again, thank you.

i really hope you enjoyed it. stay safe and healthy everyone.