Chapter 2

Desperate to cool down my scorching skin, I splash some water on my face

Desperate to cool down my scorching skin, I splash some water on my face. One would think that wearing a tank top and shorts would be ridiculous attire for the middle of winter. They clearly have never had sweat dripping down their body in sub-zero temperatures.

I wish I knew what that felt like.

When I look up into the mirror, I wish I could say I am surprised by what I see, but I'm not. My eyes look like I went twenty rounds with the top heavyweight champion.

I'm not given enough time to dwell on my hideous appearance. My stomach rumbles so forcefully, I swear I see my shirt move.

How can the thought of food make someone want to vomit, yet they are hungry at the same time?

When I glance at the clock hanging on the light blue walls, a sigh falls from my lips. I only have a half-hour until my Mom brings Gavin back, and I wanted to take an ice-cold bath. However, putting nutrients in my body sounds like a smarter idea.

My feet pad against the tile floor as I make my way to the kitchenette area of my Mom's pool house.

I should feel lucky that I was welcomed me back home with open arms after my fallout with Simon. I am blessed enough to have a private space but the feeling of failure never leaves my forever-running brain. It is becoming depressing.

Everything I spot in the pantry and refrigerator causes my stomach to bubble in protest.

Eggs? Barf. Water? Barf.

A soft knock pulls me from the neverending list of foods that put my gag reflex into hyperdrive.

I appreciate my Mom giving me privacy, but I have told her countless times she can just waltz in here whenever. It's her place, after all.

"Mom, I already told you," I start as I turn the doorknob.

Of course, the last person I would expect to see today is standing before me. The freshly fallen snow causes his icy blue eyes to twinkle. My mouth hangs open while his pulls into his signature handsome smile.

"Noah." His name comes out in a whisper. I doubt he even heard me.

Noah's grin grows, and he holds up a bag and six-pack of beer. "Hello, Sunshine. I brought some lunch and drinks. I thought we could catch up."

My mouth hangs open, and I need to shake my head to reboot my brain. I open the wooden door wide and motion for him to come in. "Of course."

Even though it is only the two of us when Noah walks into the room, he demands attention. Weaving around the furniture with perfect posture and his head held high.

Noah places the brown paper bag and beer on the counter, then turns with his hands resting on his hips. He looks around the room until his gaze sets upon me. "I forgot how awesome this space is."