Chapter 6

The oven timer begins to blare its obnoxious tune, and I am quick to remove the tray of chicken nuggets I made for Gavin

I place his plate on the table when my step-father, Charles, comes in with my son perched on his hip.

Gavin jumps from his grip and runs to the beloved chicken and apple slices waiting for him. My heart almost stops because Charles is a tall man, and the last thing I need tonight is a trip to the emergency room.

My step-father comes and kisses the top of my head, then wraps his arm around my much shorter frame. "Did I hear your mother correctly? You have a date with Noah?"

Warmth begins to spread across my face when I remember when Noah called me this afternoon. He just left and was quick to call me from his car. I believe his exact words were, "I don't want to wait another minute to go out with you."

I'm pulled from my daydream when Charles clears his throat and says, "You got it bad, Kid."

A smile pulls at my lips, and I nod my head, "I guess so."

"I always liked him," Charles states as he makes his way over to the refrigerator. He pulls out a bottle of water and takes a swig. "I never had to worry about you when he was around. I knew you would be taken care of."

"I think his intentions are good. At least I hope so." This is something I have yet to admit out loud, but my level of trust and comfort with Charles knows no bounds.

Charles puts his water down and marches over to me. He places one hand on my shoulder while his other guides my chin upwards, causing me to look up at his emerald eyes. "You listen here, Kid, don't let Simon's idiotic actions taint your view on love. Take it from me. I know what it feels like to be in your shoes, so does your mother. If I held on to the pain, my ex caused me, who knows if I would have had the balls to ask your mother out. I love that woman more than I thought possible, and I thank God every day for the shitty, bumpy road that led me to her."

Cue the waterworks.

"Plus," He continues. "I got you and Ben as a bonus. How lucky am I?"

His last comment causes me to come undone, and I begin to sob. I crash my face into his chest, thinking about how lucky me and my older brother are to have a second chance at a father figure. It's almost as if Charles could read my mind and my concerns about my children. "What about the baby? This could be a disaster. I feel so selfish diving into this."

Charles begins to rub circles on my back while quiet hushes attempt to calm me down. "What if it isn't a disaster, but the greatest decision of your life?"

The doorbell chimes, and Charles doesn't move to get it. He holds me in a tight embrace, and my cries turn into soft whimpers.

Footsteps shuffle to the door, and I hear my little brother, Liam, yell, "Noah!"