Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Josh kept looking between us.

            I had no idea what he was thinking. I knew he didn't hold Lexi Grayson in the highest regards. I had been whining about her for years now.

            Very little, if nothing, I had said about her could have made him like her. As far as he was concerned, this was the girl that either ignored me or insulted me.

            I knew that if the position was switched, I probably wouldn't like her either. You didn't like the person that hurts your friend.

"Yope, that's my name. Not Candy or Natasha or Jose-whatever. Oh, and I'm not a hooker," Lexi told Josh, totally unaware that the guy standing in front of her, knew a lot more about her than she could ever imagined.

"Damn it. Oh well..." Josh said with a shrug. The fact that he wasn't going on a rant about his undying love for hookers was quite strange and out of character. He was... too quiet. "Hey have you finish Notre Dame de Paris yet? I want to read it already," he asked me, his back to me.

I couldn't see his face and I was slightly worried, so I tried to overcompensate by being overly cheery. "No, Victor Hugo talks a lot! And I started to read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde again."

"Are you serious?" Lexi asked me.

I smirked at her as an answer. Of course, finding out what I could read was still a shock to my unobservant Pumpkin.

"What's wrong?" Josh asked, turning around to get a look at the both of us.

"Sorry, I'm still trying to grasp the concept that Blake can read," Lexi explained. Way for her to win brownie points by saying this.

"Come on Pumpkin, don't," I started to say because she should probably keep to herself how little she knew about me if she didn't want to see the bad side of Josh. It very rarely reared its crazy head and humanity was all the better for it. Josh angry was... dangerous.

Josh raised an eyebrow and said, "Pumpkin?"

"Yeah, he calls me Pumpkin," Lexi explained, frowning a little.

"I call her Pooky too," I added with a smirk, trying to lighten up the mood, trying to show through this conversation to Josh that Lexi and I were getting along now, and that everything was okay.

I was totally overcompensating.

Lexi elbowed me. "No, you don't call me Pooky!"

I chuckled. "Yes, I do, oh and it's her screen saver by the way. How lame?"

I sounded like someone that had said something silly and was trying to ramble about nonsense to kind of cover up the mistake, so people would forget about the one stupid thing said, because too many useless stuff was added afterwards... and OHMYGOD, I needed to shut up.

Josh would see through all the bullshit anyway.

And maybe he'd expose my dirty little secret and Lexi would run away screaming.

"Shut up! Pooky rocks alright," Lexi scowled at me.

"Then why can't I call you Pooky?" I teased her.

"Cute but mute? That's why you can't call me Pooky, you dumbass," she whined and slapped my arm because manhandling me was getting into a common practice between us now.

"Play nicely kids," Josh said in a slightly hollow voice and I could see he was trying to figure out what was happening between us.

He knew about our fight and about our conversations. He was there when I'd been texting her the other night. He knew we were getting along.