Chapter 43

Seeing Lexi wasn't enough to take care of my nightmare problems apparently.

I didn't remember every detail of the dream, how exactly we had ended up like that, but I was holding on the Lexi's hand while she was falling off a cliff, and I couldn't pull her up and her hand was slipping and she was crying and calling my name and I just couldn't save her.

So, I was once again tired when I got to school the next day.

Mark and Dwayne caught up with me when I grabbed stuff at my locker.

"What happened with Coach yesterday, is everything alright?" Dwayne asked, leaning against another locker. He looked concerned.

"Sure, don't worry about it," I reassured him.

"Didn't look like it was nothing though," Mark said, eyes narrowed.

Mark knew about my head, at least enough to know there was something to worry about, because of Catherine, but Dwayne didn't have all the details.

He knew about my car accident but not about AVM.

And I preferred keeping it this way.

I knew for a fact that all the guys in the football team would walk on eggshells around me if they knew the veins in my head could go pop anytime.

"Yeah, you sure everything is alright?" Dwayne asked again, clearly not convinced.

I didn't like this. I didn't like having people worry about me.

I didn't like spending my nights having nightmares and spending my days worrying about stuff I actually had no control over.

There was nothing to do with my brain.

Suddenly, I saw Lexi at her locker, looking my way.

There might have been nothing to do with my brain, but something could be done about my nightmares. Because the nightmares weren't real. They didn't have to mean anything. But Lexi was real.

I smirked at her. She glared at me. I thought back about her freaking out last night while I waited on the other side of the street. My Pumpkin had no idea what actually happened last night. I tried to keep from laughing, and wiggled my eyebrows at her. She stuck her tongue out at me.

"Told you not to do that. There will be consequences," I warned her from afar. A few people turned around to look at me.

I laughed at Lexi's annoyed face.

"Bring it on," Lexi replied.

"Is that an invitation?"

Lexi just kept glaring.

I laughed from afar again. Lexi closed her locker sharply, and headed my way, probably planning some bodily harm.

She didn't have it her way though, because the bell rang, and I knew her class was the other way, so she'd have to turn back if she didn't want to be late.

I kinda wanted her to want to be late.

"Saved by the bell," I said, and picked up my bag.

"You better watch out, you're in trouble Eaton, big big trouble," she said threateningly, while backing away, people rushing around her.

"I'll be waiting Pumpkin," I smiled at her, and turned around, walking away.

Mark and Dwayne followed me, and they were the only reason why I didn't turn around again to look at Lexi walking away, because I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it if I did.