𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝑢𝑛𝑐𝑙𝑒 𝐿𝑒𝑜

𝙰𝙸𝚁 𝚃𝚁𝙰𝙵𝙵𝙸𝙲 control didn't want to let an unscheduled helicopter land at the Oakland Airport- until Piper got on the radio. Then it turned out to be no problem. They unloaded on the tarmac, and everyone looked at Piper.

"What now?" Jason asked her.

"First thing," she said. "I- I have to get my dad home. I'm sorry, guys."

Their faces fell.

"Oh," Leo said. "I mean, absolutely. He needs you right now. We can take it from here."

"Pipes, no." Her dad had been sitting in the helicopter doorway, a blanket around his shoulders. But he stumbled to his feet. "You have a mission. A quest. I can't- "

"I'll take care of him," said Coach Hedge.

Lorna stared at him. The satyr was the last person she'd expected to offer.

"You?" Lorna asked.

"I'm a protector," Gleeson said. "That's my job, not fighting. " He sounded a little crestfallen. Then Hedge straightened, and set his jaw. "Of course, I'm good at fighting, too." He glared at them all, daring them to argue.

"Yes," Jason said.

"Great." Lorna said.

"Terrifying," Leo agreed.

The coach grunted. "But I'm a protector, and I can do this. Your dad's right, Piper. You need to carry on with the quest."

"But ... Dad ..." He held out his arms, and Piper hugged him

"Let's give them a minute," Lorna said, and they took the pilot a few yards down the tarmac.

Lorna watched as they said tearful goodbyes. Then Piper gave her dad a vial from her pocket. He drank the pink liquid to erase his memories. His eyes rolled up into his head, and he slumped forward. Piper caught him, and her friends ran up to help.

"Got him," Hedge said. The satyr stumbled, but he was strong enough to hold Tristan McLean upright. "I already asked our ranger friend to call up his plane. It's on the way now. Home address?"

Piper checked her dad's pocket, and took out his BlackBerry.

"Everything's on here," Piper said. "Address, his chauffeur's number. Just watch out for Jane."

Hedge's eyes lit up, like he sensed a possible fight. "Who's Jane?"

By the time Piper explained, her dad's sleek white Gulfstream had taxied next to the helicopter. Hedge and the flight attendant got Piper's dad on board. Then Hedge came down one last time to say his good-byes. He gave Piper and Lorna a hug and glared at Jason and Leo.

"You cupcakes take care of the girls, you hear? Or I'm gonna make you do push-ups."

"You got it, Coach," Leo said, a smile tugging at his mouth.

"No push-ups," Jason promised.

Piper gave the old satyr one more hug. "Thank you, Gleeson. Take care of him, please."

"I got this, McLean," he assured her. "They got root beer and veggie enchiladas on this flight, and one hundred percent linen napkins- yum! I could get used to this."

"Satyrs and their enchiladas." Lorna shook her head as Coach sent her a grin.

Trotting up the stairs, he lost one shoe, and his hoof was visible for just a second. The flight attendant's eyes widened, but she looked away and pretended nothing was wrong. Lorna figured she'd probably seen stranger things, working for Tristan McLean. When the plane was heading down the runaway, Piper started to cry. Lorna hugged her, and Leo and Jason stood uncomfortably nearby, pulling Kleenex out of his tool belt.