𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞. 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 𝑠𝑢𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑟

𝙰 𝙼𝙴𝚃𝙰𝙻𝙻𝙸𝙲 CLANG-CLANG-CLANG jolted Lorna out of her sleep. Her eyes shot open. She realized she'd just heard the landing gear being lowered. She rubbed her eyes, trying to clear her vision. Groaning, she separated herself from the bed, dragging her feet up the stairs.

The sky was brilliant blue, as if the stormy weather had never happened. The sun rose over the distant hills, so everything below them shone and sparkled like the entire city of Rome had just come out of the car wash. Lorna had seen big cities before. She was from New York, after all. But the sheer vastness of Rome grabbed her by the throat and made it hard to breathe.

"We're setting down in that park," Leo told Lorna(who was the only other demigod awake), pointing to a wide green space dotted with palm trees. "Let's hope the Mist makes us look like a large pigeon or something; we don't want civilians to stare and scream at us."

"What makes you think they wouldn't stare and scream at a large pigeon?" Lorna asked, genuinely puzzled.

"You know what I mean."

Lorna scrunched her eyebrows, frowning, "No. If I saw a pigeon the size of a ship I'd scream so loud that Hades could hear me."

Leo pointed at her accusingly. "So you're saying that my metaphor is bad by using an equally terrible one! Hypocrite!"

"I'm surprised you even know what 'hypocrite' means." Lorna replied.

"Alright, break it up, you two," Frank said, yawning and stretching. He made his way to the edge of the ship, admiring the view. "You're ruining my moment."

"The 'moment' you're having with who now?" Lorna asked.

"With Mother Nature." Frank said.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mother Nature trying to kill us?" Leo said. 

"You're right."

"I hate talking to the two of you."

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙳𝙴𝙼𝙸𝙶𝙾𝙳𝚂 made their way down the gangplank, strutting their way though the empty park like a pack of models. They set their picnic blanket down, using their shoes to anchor the flimsy mat onto the grassy ground. The girls sat down on the mat while the boys childishly raced back to the ship to get the food. 

Lorna put on her sunglasses, basking in the sun while Hazel and Piper painted each others' nails. Annabeth fussed over the food, swatting away the insistent flies. The daughter of Poseidon smiled to herself. This would be a day that would be etched into her mind forever; Annabeth chiding them for sitting on the picnic blanket without taking their shoes off; The boys shoving each other while racing up the gangplank; the boys tackling Jason for flying instead of running; Piper slipping nail polish all over Hazel; but most importantly, Lorna felt that this would be the last time they could enjoy together. Their version of the last supper.

Deep in Lorna's mind, there was a nagging thought that the entire city was supposedly getting destroyed that day. 

Annabeth had planned to go to the Tiber River after inspecting her map, Percy saying that he would join her. Hazel and Piper were going to walk around the city to try and find Nico, leaving Lorna with Jason, Frank, Leo, and Coach Hedge.

The eight of them took their time to finish their meal, all seeming unwilling to set off on their own paths. When the last bite was taken, they settled into an uncomfortable silence. Lorna decided to take charge and began gathering all the dirty dishes. The other followed quickly.

Before parting ways, Jason asked, "Meet back at three?"

"Meet back at three." Percy nodded. But Annabeth would be on a different schedule. She might be back at three, or much later, or never. But she would be on her own, searching for the Athena Parthenos.

𝙻𝙾𝚁𝙽𝙰 𝚃𝚁𝙸𝙴𝙳 to make the best of the situation.

She played and trained with the boys but couldn't shake off the annoying, pestering voice in the back of her head. 

Jason followed her as she stormed out of the dining hall and back to her room. He watched her pace around the room, breathing heavily.

"Calm down, Lorna." He said, placing his hands on her arms. 

"I can't!" She slumped onto him, holding onto him for dear life. "This situation is so... stressful! I'm so scared, and I know that I've barely known Frank and Hazel for a week but... I am so worried for them!" 

Lorna never enjoyed dumping her worries on anyone, but Jason seemed to like listening to her freak out. She didn't know how long she spent spewing out irrational thoughts, but by the end of it, her throat ached for water.

"Do you feel better?" Jason asked. They had moved to the bed- Jason's arm around Lorna's shoulders, their legs tangled together. 

Lorna sighed. "No. I need to stop thinking about this... I need a distraction."

Jason looked around the room for something to use. He came up with nothing and decided to say, "Well, it's my birthday."

Lorna gaped at him. "You're kidding."

"No, I'm not," He smiled graciously at her. "Thalia told me a few months ago."

"So, you've been sitting here, listening to me rant about useless things, when you should be celebrating?"

"It's fine, Lorna."

"No, it's not! You supposed to have fun on your birthday!"

"I have fun when I'm with you." Jason reasoned, giving her another one of his smiles.

Lorna blushed before looking away from him. She tried to stop herself from smiling, failing terribly at the task.

"You're blushing." Jason poked Lorna's cheek.

"Go away."

"Aw! I made you blush!"

Lorna shielded her face from Jason, shrieking when he accidently dragged her on the ground with him. He gave her a quick kiss, pulling the both of them off the floor. Lorna laughed, leaning into him. "Happy birthday, Jason."

"Thank you."

"Do you want a cake?"

"And give you a chance to poison me? No thanks."

"You better watch out, Grace."

"𝚆𝙴 𝙵𝙾𝚄𝙽𝙳 him!" Percy yelled, sprinting towards the ship, Piper hot on his tail. "We found Nico! We-" He tripped over a rock, face planting onto the ground. Picking himself up, he continued screaming.

"Percy! Percy, chill out." Lorna said, patting his back. She shared the same smile as his, the twins were both happy to find their friend.

"Annabeth was kidnapped on a motor scooter, by Tiberinus and Rhea Silvia. Okay, I'm exaggerating. Tiberinus and Rhea Silvia was guiding her on her quest. Then I saw Hazel and Piper. Piper dropped her spooky knife and I picked it up. But I saw a face in her knife and I was like: 'AH!'. Then I realised that it was Nico's face! And it zoomed out to show this place in the old  Forum that Annabeth showed me! I found him, Lornie!"

"Good job, Sherlock Holmes." Lorna praised. "Now let's go save him."