XXVI

"I know you're one of Damian's men," I announced as I sat on the chair across of the guard in the lounging area.

So many emotions ran through my veins but there were two which stood out more than the others. Determination and anger. 3 years ago, I made the wrong choice and decided to keep everything to myself. I thought that if I fought my own battles, no one would get hurt but me.

But I soon came to realize that 3 years ago, I jumped at the first option I could think of like a coward scared of trying out new options. It was the dumbest decision I had ever taken and I was determined not to make the same mistake again.

"I don't know what you're talk-"

"—I need your help," I cut him off before he could waste our time with futile denials. I noticed him sit up straight as his face contorted to that of curiosity.

"What is it?" he asked intrigued.

"My friend is in danger and I need to save her before something happens to her," because of me, I added mentally.

The guard seemed to mentally note down what I was saying before he nodded. "Alright, give me a minute," he excused himself, grabbing his phone to probably take permission from his employer.

Not even 20 minutes later, a group of strong looking men of Damian's joined us.

"Do you have any idea where your friend was taken?" The same man I talked to earlier asked me. I shook my head, "I think I'll be able to get some information from him if I call again. I just didn't want to be rash and go by myself without planning anything. I know that he wants me."

"Does he now?" came Damian's voice. I could feel goosebumps start to form all over my body. How did I miss his entrance?

"You came," I muttered as I allowed my eyes to roam over him. I don't know how south this can all go, but I know that if it goes south enough for this to be my last day on earth, I want to drink in his appearance. The forest green of his eyes has always been tattooed in my brain, but actually seeing it in front of me had always given me a different feeling of serenity that can't be described in words.

"Damian." I called for his name. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "I want to tell you everything but I feel like we don't have enough time. I feel like I already wasted too much waiting for your men to arrive."

He nodded. "I know. I'll be with you in the car. Tell me everything then."

I nodded. Before I could stop myself, I grasped his hand in mine and squeezed it. "Damian."

He sighed. "What is it?" I saw his fingers twitch, probably contemplating whether to pull his hand back or not. I didn't say anything after that though. I pulled his hand closer to my face and gave it a kiss before he had the chance to make up his mind and pull it back completely. He closed his sad eyes at my gesture before he finally pried my hand off.

I tried not to think too much of it, knowing that his reaction was valid. I pulled out my phone and dialed Ava's number one last time, hoping he'd get to answer.

"H-hello?" I heard Ava's voice as soon as the call went through and my heart began racing like there was no tomorrow. "Ava! Are you hurt? Did he do anything to you? I promise I'll come for you. Don't be scared?" I tried uttering words of assurance knowing she was probably terrified.

"Val.. Valerie I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry for what I said. If I don't make it out alive I just want you to know how sorry I am," she pled, crying. It took all that was in me to stop myself from crying right there and then.

"I forgive you, it's alright. I'm sorry you were dragged into this. You'll come out of this alive. You won't die, I promise." I said in an attempt to convince myself more than convince her.

I could hear laugher coming from beside her. "What makes you so sure?" he said tauntingly.

Him, the man that ruined my life. Him, the man so evil that even hell wouldn't take him. Him, the man who was once engaged to my sister.

"Kieran. Where did you take her?"