XI

Hello, please make sure to read the chapter before this since this was a double update!

___

It was a bad, bad idea. I don't know what came over me when I decided to agree with Mr Brown and do what he asked of me.

I haven't stepped foot inside Ev & Co. since before the divorce. There were barely any changes made to the decor of the company. However, the stares that I was getting from the staff compensated for all. It was miles away from their lively smiley faces adorned with respect towards me. They were stealing glances at me, some looking at me in shock and some scoffing at the sight of me.

While I admit I was used to getting these looks from people, I still felt a ping of hurt in my chest. Their stares just reminded me of how much my life took a turn over the past few years.

Mr Brown apparently informed Damian of the arrival of the new substitute worker today and the guards let me in easily when I told them the reason I was here. I knew exactly where his office was and made my way there with swift motion without anyone stopping me.

I inhaled and exhaled subsequently before I raised my hand and knocked on the door.

"Come in," he said from inside his office.

I slowly opened the door and walked in, shutting it behind in the process. He was so engrossed in his work with his eyebrows furrowed in concentration at whatever he was working on. It was typical of Damian to have his nose up the computer screen and his fingers consistently hovering over the keyboard. That's how much of a workaholic he was.

I cleared my throat, making him apologize and raise his head.

"I'm the new substitute secretary for the time being, nice to meet you," I greeted trying to sound as formal as possible.

The way his smile dropped and his jaw clenched made it clear to me that he had no idea I'd be the replacement.

"Are you kidding me?" he scoffed.

I pursed my lips and sighed. What was Mr Brown plotting? Shouldn't he have informed him about who he was going to send to him?

But then again, I doubt Damian would have accepted the offer had he known I'd be the one coming.

"Leave, I don't need a secretary. Tell Mr Brown that I'm no longer in need for one."

I narrowed my eyes as I looked at the collection of files lying on his desk.

"You're going to do everything on your own?" I asked as I pointed at them.

"Yes, is there a problem with that?"

"You'll end up staying late."

He exhaled harshly.

"So what? Don't pretend like you suddenly care."

I rolled my eyes.

"Listen, I'm not in the mood to argue with you right now. Mr Brown sent me here and it will take a while for him to find another replacement. You know how stubborn he is, he won't leave you alone unless he's certain you're satisfied so please cooperate for today at least. As soon as I'm out of here I'll inform him about you not wanting me here and you'll never see me ever again, okay?" I said before I turned around and left the room, leaving to sit behind the desk right outside his office that's assigned for his secretary.

* * *