34. the horntail.

They were in a broom closet.

Maybe it was because they were taller, or because this was a smaller broom closet, but it seemed to be a lot tighter for Harry and Antheia than it had been last year when they had gone back in time to save Sirius. Squished together in a small closet, Antheia was peeking out of the door while Harry was tightly clutching onto a Niffler. The Niffler, while struggling excitedly, was being unusually quiet. It was also, perhaps, in anticipation of Draco Malfoy entering the empty corridor.

"Are you sure he's coming?" Harry whispered, glancing out of the door.

"He has to be," Antheia whispered back, patting the Niffler softly, "it's on his schedule; I checked.

After a few more minutes going by, and when Antheia's neck had started to get sore, they heard footsteps from a nearby corridor.

"How could you mess up on Summoning Charms, Goyle?" Malfoy groaned. "If you were any slower you'd be going backwards.

Goyle grunted.

"OK, Harry, give me the Niffler," Antheia muttered. Holding the Niffler in one hand and her wand in another, she whispered, "Wingardium Leviosa."

Swish and flick! The Niffler started to float in mid-air, looking extremely joyful. Holding her wand out of the cupboard, Antheia moved the Niffler to Harry's command.

"Left ... a bit up ... a little to the right now ... perfect!" Harry muttered. "He's about to walk into it ..."

"AAARRRGGGHHH!" Malfoy screeched.

Antheia fought not to laugh out loud. She and Harry's bodies shook with laughter.

"Crabbe - Goyle - what is that - get it away from ME -"

The next thing they heard was a mighty crash and three loud screams. Antheia looked out of the cupboard carefully.

It was quite a sight. The small Niffler had pushed Malfoy to hysterics. He was still staring at it, eyes wide with horror. Crabbe and Goyle, apparently having been forced in front of Malfoy, had both collapsed on top of each other on the cold, stone floor. The Niffler was now floating right above the two, looking quite amused.

After leading the Niffler back to them, Antheia shut the broom cupboard quickly. They took this opportunity to collapse into hysterics.

"The Niffler - it's -" Antheia gasped, "- it's so tiny -"

"At least we know what to do to scare Crabbe and Goyle off!" Harry chortled. "Give them Nifflers!"

"You know, we haven't even named him yet!" Antheia said, glancing attentively at the Niffler.

"How about ... Snuffles?" Harry requested, peering curiously at the Niffler.

"Snuffles?" Antheia snorted. "OK, then, Snuffles it is!"

"You know, I'm shocked you pulled this off so well," Harry said. "I've seen your pranks before but I've never been part of one."

"What do you mean?" Antheia laughed. "I've done loads of them on you! Maybe I'll do another one sometime."

─ ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─

It had been a couple of days, and the prospect of talking face to face with Sirius was all that sustained Harry over the next fortnight, the only bright spot on a horizon that had never looked darker. The shock of finding himself school champion had worn off slightly now, and the fear of what was facing him was starting to sink in. The first task was drawing steadily nearer; he felt as though it was crouching ahead of him like some horrific monster, barring his path. He had never suffered nerves like these; they were way beyond anything he had felt before a Quidditch match, not even his last one against Slytherin, which had decided who would win the Quidditch Cup. Harry was finding it hard to think about the future at all, he felt as if his whole life had been leading up to, and would finish with, the first task ...