Mitch - On the Missing

Hey Guys,

This chapter, as I've mentioned previously, has been written by one of my very favourite people in the entire world (NOTE: except for the introduction, which was mine. For any of you smart chickadees that pick up on two different tones/styles of writing, that's what it is.) Known to those on Wattpad, and indeed to the rest of the internet population as 'Toongen', she's inspired and sent fear down the spines of all those who've dared to cross her path. As well as that, however, Toong's also an amazing writer - and this is an amazing chapter. Enjoy it!

I know I did.

xx

Sir Miffington Quack Quack

........................................

Mitch - On the Missing

The thoughts ran through my head on a constant loop, spreading their poison like a cancer wherever they touched.

We shouldn't have made running away together their only option.

It had been two nights now - since we had last seen our friends. The atmosphere amongst us was thick enough to cut; the guilt eating away at one and all. Each of us blamed ourselves for what had happened. Each of us had reason to. Tom, Tia, Lisa and I: The best friend, the new friend, the oldest friend and the boy in love. I can still remember exactly what I was doing when we realised that the bickering had stopped, that Mark and Sarah were no longer following behind. We should have paid closer attention, we told ourselves. We should have noticed their passion. We should have been more forgiving of their burgeoning relationship.

We shouldn't have let them put themselves in danger.

When we heard Lisa's telltale gasp, the cease of her and Tom's footsteps, I was staring into her eyes. Tia's that is, not Lisa's. Her beautiful grey eyes and straight brown hair made her breathtaking in a beautiful, oblivious way. They say opposites attract and I suppose that's true; she and Sarah were nothing alike. Tia was loving; she was caring, un-calculating, and open to love. Of course, she was also taken.

We shouldn't have let one of them die.

Life sucks sometimes, and right now, life sucked especially. Tia's heart was crushed, her beautiful eyes a saltwater pool. Two nights had made too much a difference.

My name is Mitch.

~*~

When we realised Mark and Sarah disappeared, we panicked. In pairs we frantically searched every shop we'd been past, combed through every alley. Charlotte immediately dialled Sarah's number, only to have the call left unanswered. Finally we called Smith to give him the bad news. Boy was he mad. Asking every single person at the competition if they'd seen our missing pair, continuously calling both mobiles. Of course, his grief soon relented enough for him to remember that he himself had taken them.  Eventually, we had to forfeit the competition, which we knew they'd both be pissed about if - no, when - they got back, but our disappointment over that was roughly pushed aside by our worry.

Now, two days later we were, again, meeting in the chess room. We frequently met there. Not on purpose, just because we all turned up in the hope that there was good news. There never was. In fact, with the recent news of the murder we were more worried - and at the chess room more often.

"How do we even know they're involved in this thing?" Lisa asked hopefully, always trying to be positive.

"Oh yeah, our friends disappear off the face of the Earth one day, and the next someone's murdered in the same town, but they're totally unrelated," Tom was on edge about the whole thing, more than anyone had expected. I'd never realised how close he was to either of them.