Sarah - On the Harsh Light of Day

Things look differently to different people at different times. Your well-justified actions in the evening may well be a huge source of embarrassment after the progression of just a few hours... Reminds me of the time I dirty danced with Clark Alexander at a wedding, actually...The Harsh Light of Day, in this way, is often a very accurate phrase. Both literally and figuratively. How many of you have ever woken up in the morning/afternoon with a killer headache after a tough night out? How many times have those rays hit your face through your window, forcing you to let out a rather long list of expletives? Exactly. The night before had been a pretty major thing for Mark and I. Being trapped in a sort of mystical prison will do that to you, though, looking back, perhaps the snuggling was a bit inappropriate.

In my defence; I was sleepy.

~*~

"Kids!" I stirred at harsh noise, disturbing me from my very sophisticated dream.

Okay, I was at the Supermarket. But I was having a right ol' time.

"Mum... Go away... Mum..." I mumbled, barely audibly.

"Yeah, you there!" The loud and, rather impolite, voice continued. "Wake up! What the hell do you think you're doing here!?"

I groaned, as something stirred beneath me. Literally. I opened my eyes only to be hit by the almost painful rays of sunlight shining through the sides of our make-shift shelter. Closing my eyes as a matter of self-preservation, I unconsciously snuggled further into the gently moving mass beneath me.

"You there! I know you're awake! Get up!" Rough hands were on my waist now, pulling me forwards. I struggled against my captor.

"Noo..." I mumbled, still a little more than half asleep. "Let me go... Mark..."

The thought triggered something: where was I? An alley? What was I-

"Mark!" I yelled, suddenly wide awake. I thrashed around, trying desperately to turn away from my captor and back towards my overnight companion, but to no avail.

"Oof!" My breath was suddenly gone as a heavy something launched itself at my captor from behind, freeing me as we both tumbled to the ground. 

Mark.

Someone screamed in the confusion as all three of us went down, my head on the concrete sidewalk, hitting it hard.

Dazed, but at the same time still vaguely aware of something pulling me up, I felt hands on my waist steadying me, then shoving me backwards.

How undignified.

Mark turned to me, his eyes only half opened, his face full of concern, before quickly turning back to the immediate threat before us.   

Mark froze and his hold on me relaxed. I took the opportunity immediately, releasing myself after quickly shooting a harsh glare in his direction. I wasn't going to be anyone's damsel in distress. 

Quickly I bypassed Mark and took my first clear look at our assailant.

Oh, shit.

***

Said Mark, as we sat in the second-rate diner, for the five-hundredth time: "Shit".

"Yeah, I think got that bit already, Mark." We were speaking in hushed tones, but I made sure that my venom still reached him. I searched his face for any sign that it had. Mark showed no reaction, but then again, that may just have been a newly developed immunity.