Sarah - On Practice

Sarah - On Practice

I'd been looking forward to the afternoon practice and it seemed as though my Physics class knew it. The way each minute seemed doubly long was its fault, I'm sure, as it utilised some kind of ancient Chinese torture method. By the time the bell for the end of school rang, I jumped from my seat as though I'd been electrocuted. It was going to be an awesome afternoon: I'd get to chill with Tia and my new buds from the Team whilst playing a game that my mother had always loved. I just knew I was going to love it too. Not only that, by Chess Club was another little something I could add to my resume; Melbourne Uni eat your heart out.

Only one cloud bothered my clear skies as I packed my stuff into my locker. Twice in one afternoon I'd be forced to endure the presence of one Mr Mark Ubersmife. Yay. Right now though, I refused to let that bother me. I'd be damned if some guy was going to stop me from enjoying myself. I marched myself to the library in double time and ignored the advances of two, count 'em, two cute guys that tried to grab my attention; for however brief a period. Apparently I was popular today, regardless of my extra-curricular activities. I almost wished I wasn't.

~*~ 

I sat in a dimly lit room with bare walls, at exactly two minutes past four, on the opposite side of the library to our usual meet. Mark had apparently gotten permission for us to use it after his little spat during lunch, so that there would be no distractions. What a git. It was a good idea, but I resented him for the small amount of space available and for the loss of what was going to be such a perfect afternoon. I had known we would be working closely, but I'd never thought we'd be so... close. I'll admit that his comments today, dripping with venom, had rattled me.

"We don't have time for this pointless bickering. Flirting... And I thought youof all people would know better".

The words swam around and around in my mind. I used my anger to push them aside. No one spoke to me like that.

I was dimly aware that I was pacing again as the door opened and closed, the momentary light stinging my eyes.

"You're late," I growled.

"It happens. I had business to take care of."

"What business?"

"None of yours. Now, sit down. We have a long evening ahead of us." With that, Mark set up the board he had brought with him. He chose his colour first. Typical.

For the next few hours Mark taught me the basics of the game. He taught me the moves of each piece and then moved onto elementary tactics when I seemed to finally get that down. Annoyingly enough, he was a good teacher. I learned quickly and slowly, slowly, the icy barriers between us seem to melt down.

***

At around seven, it was finally time for a match of our own. I smiled at Mark when he told me and then sat with him in comfortable silence, our armies battling it out. I could tell Mark was impressed. I'm pretty sure he was anyway. For a new player I seemed to be giving him at least a little unexpected challenge. I was bothering him and the thought made me smile. When the game was over, he turned to me. His poker face was gone and in its place was... something. Something I didn't recognise. It was almost as if Mark had disappeared and the something else was looking through his eyes. I wondered how long he had been like this. It was unnerving.

A few tense, silent minutes passed.

"Mark?" I asked.

"You're so incredibly afraid." Mark spoke suddenly; the beginning of the strange rant clear but shining through with what seemed to be insanity. "I can see it hovering around you, settling on your shoulders like a cloak. What is it that scares you so?" His voice cleared, snapping out of the daze. "Is it me?"

"What? Of course not. You have no idea what you're talking about Mark." I hesitated. The words had angered me, but I couldn't ignore the strangeness of the situation. "Mark, what is this about? Is something wrong?"

Mark seemed to be back to normal now, his eyes undoubtedly showing only him, but he continued to cling to the idea regardless. "No, I'm okay. But I know what I'm talking about. I've been there Sarah." His face grew grim once again. "We're so alike it scares me sometimes."

That was it. No one spoke to me like that. All compassion and strangeness forgotten, I remembered who it was I was talking to. "We're nothing alike."

"Oh yeah? I can see it in your moves, Sarah. Your fear in the way you hide. Never revealing your full potential. You're not like most people and you're not just playing it safe; it's more like you think it's... safer not to play. Maybe you're right." He softened, repeating his question. "What's wrong?"

"That's enough! You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Don't pretend like you do. It was one game of chess and you... You are a lunatic!"

Mark remained calm. "I do know. I can see it now Sarah, for some reason today I can read you - and this game - like a book. There are so many things you don't say. It's never happened with anyone else but for you I can see them. The unspoken footnotes to your life." He let out a grim chuckle. "One game and I already know you."

I narrowed my eyes. Beckoning Mark even further towards me I grabbed his tie as he began to close the already small space and hissed my next words quietly:

"Of course you don't know me Ubersmife. Nobody knows me. And you... Who are you? Just another random guy. Just some spare dude who I happen to be tolerating for the moment. You are nothing special. You don't know me."

"You don't believe that."

"Oh, don't I?" Sarcasm dripped from my words, as I raised my voice, just a little. "Then believe it when I say that this power to 'read' me must be seriously faulty." I brightened. "Otherwise, how on Earth could I do this?"

With those words I pulled Mark into me, locking onto his eyes. Looking even deeper I smiled at the beautiful green sea trying - and failing - to extinguish the fire within. He froze and I released him, and for a moment no one moved. Then, once again, I brought my hand up, this time tracing my fingertips down his jaw. My hands abruptly changed direction and slid to the back of his head; into his shining black hair, feeling it run between my fingers like silk. I brought him towards me and brought myself even closer, my lips hovering just above his, his breath on my face. A moment passed and Mark's restraint finally crumbled. He grabbed my waist roughly and our lips met in pure ecstasy, created only so that this moment could exist. They brushed together softly but every contact was a burn, searing into my skin. The softness was there and gone in an instant. Now we worked together feverishly, neither wanting to let go of the feeling that enveloped us. I was dimly aware of being pushed into the hard concrete wall behind me; Mark pinning me on either side with his muscled arms, though I had no desire for escape. Somehow, it still wasn't enough. I wanted to be closer, my body seeking his in the ever darkening room. He obliged, somehow not quickly enough, as he melded into me. Sliding my hands down his back, I stopped only when I reached the bottom of his shirt. I struggled in my haste, but eventually flung it satisfyingly over his head. In response to the momentary lapse of contact he kissed me again immediately, biting my bottom lip and moving to my neck, every touch still fire. I was dimly aware of his hands on my chest as my own worked all over his body, my heart beating to breaking point as they slid over his rock-hard stomach and continued sliding lower. A gasp escaped his lips -

And I crashed back down to Earth, pulled back by such an obvious demonstration of need. Pathetic. A smirk formed on my lips as I steadied myself and pulled away, unready for the feeling of loss that would take over my body. I wanted him.

But I didn't need him.

"Nothing." I repeated. It was my turn for venom.

Without another word I turned on my heels and walked out the door, slamming it behind me.