Sarah - On Social Suicide (Prologue)

Who would ever have thought chess could be so interesting?

EDIT: I re-wrote this chapter because I didn't like it. Sorry 'bout that.

Hey Guys,

This is my second story here and, as always, I'm excited to hear what you think. It focuses on Sarah: a smart (unintentional) 'bitch' who's life changes dramatically after she joins, you guessed it, the chess club! There's love, loss, adventure, a few heated scenes and a plot centred on magic and real-life chess-people just to mix things up a little. Bet they're all really regretting entering that innocent competition at Newton's now...

As always vote, comment, VOMMENT! I'll love you forever if you do and remember that if you have something you'd like me to read, you can always drop me a message. This is probably going to be one of my last messages for the story - I don't really like author's notes - so just sit back and enjoy!

Thanks in advance for reading!

Sir Miffington Quack Quack  

........................................................................................  

Sarah - On Social Suicide (Prologue)

So I have this idea and I know it's crazy, but I'm just going to throw it on out there anyway.

I'm thinking of joining the chess team.

I know! I know! It's insane right? A little too far, even for me? And I would normally agree with you... only there was this box and this photo and this feeling. This, constant, nagging feeling that I just couldn't seem to shake and I feel like... like I'm doing this for my mum, really. So I can finally get to know her better. But you'll hear more about that later.

Hold on! Hold on! Before you get any ideas, it's not like I'm worried about what other people think - 'cause I pretty much got over that the day I decided to wear a newspaper pirate hat to school. Really, it's more that I'm scared of how Tia, or Charlotte, will react. She's always accepted my ideas and decisions without complaint, but this is... pushing it. Social suicide, she'd say.

Luckily, I know for sure that I can always call upon the man-buds to back me up. Yeah, sometimes I regret not being able to talk about girly stuff with them, but those times are few and far in-between. The best thing about the guys though, is that they get me. They get that my relationship status is permanently 'in avoidance of'; that I've got way more important things on my mind. Who even believes in love these days? The University of Melbourne, the top school in the country, and I'm going to get there. No distractions.

No distractions.

***

If you were to ask me why I do it, I'm not sure that I'd have a concrete answer for you. No, that's a lie. I know exactly why I do it. It started in early High School.

By the time I was thirteen, I knew that I wanted a different life to most of the girls in my class.  I didn't necessarily want a family, a husband to take care of me. What I did want, however, was success. Fame. Fortune. Money. What I wanted was to make a name for myself. By myself.

As there always is, however, there was an issue. How the hell was I going to achieve all this from a small, conservative country town? I was at a loss, and it sucked. Eventually though, I determined that the best way to become as successful as any man would be to act like every man. It was logic at its simplest. At that moment I renounced love for the very first time and to be honest, it was freeing. I've never yet felt one ounce of regret.

There were attempts to change my attitude, to be sure, but it was too late. My heart was already sealed to everything except blood, veins and arteries. That's not to say I didn't look: I did, and quite frequently. Loudly I would voice my ratings, my opinions. There was no shame in my attraction, only in ideas of further commitment. Men were like artwork, pretty enough, occasionally even beautiful. But never something you would give up your dreams for.

Some say I'm just scared, and maybe they're right. I am scared. I'll be completely honest when I say I'm scared of failure. Scared of being robbed of my success. I'm scared that one day, I'll give up my dreams and be stuck in this dead town forever.

***

Yeah. So, that's me on... whatever the hell I'm doing. At 16 I'm top of my class, doing more extracurricular activities than could be counted, investing in the share market and living large with Tia and the man-buds.

Or at least, I was. I haven't even seen the man-buds since...

It's just been far too long.

After all, what's the point of writing a story with no plot? A tale with no kinks? Fan-fiction with canon couples? Only, strangely enough, my tale doesn't begin with gang warfare, with a new school or with a mysterious stranger. To be honest, I did end up joining the chess team (SPOILER ALERT).

And that was only the beginning.

My Name is Sarah.

~*~