Chapter 9: The Solution

***JUST A QUICK REMINDER TO VOTE/COMMENT/FAN ME PLEASE***

Chapter 9: Lydia

"Great way to end the year, Lydia."

My body is slightly rigid. I'm usually calm, relaxed and joyful. But now, I've taken a complete one eighty.

My head turns and I looks at the body over my shoulder slowly. When my eyes meet theirs, I can only feel my blood begin to boil.

"You have got be kidding me," I mumble. My body faces theirs fully and I can't help but grimace in disgust.

"Hello, Ms. Sky." Douglas, the man who poisoned my mermaid scales and health, welcomes me, his teeth all crooked and yellowing.

"Why are you here?" I beg the question, my eyes glistening with tired tears.

Douglas looks around at the city, his old crinkled eyes taking in the views. His clothes have barely changed from his Los Angeles attire. Over his hole-filled shirt is a rugged jacket that makes him look like a child wearing their father's clothes. His jeans are ripped at the knees and stained from god knows what.

"Douglas, I suggest you leave before something irrational happens to you." I explain, tugging Harry's sweater closer to me. Even though my blood has been set fire to, the chill of the new year hasn't warmed me yet.

"I need to tell you something." His eyes focus on me, as if he's under some influence that I couldn't possibly understand. "I found out two months ago and I...well, I haven't been able to find you in my waters."

With a roll of my eyes, I turn away from him, looking around at the crowds. It's too busy out here, leaving me with only one option.

"Let's go somewhere private." I tell him as I walk away to one of the many shops and hole in the walls this city seemed to possess.

A few minutes pass and we enter through a small cafe with a fresh caffeine and lilac scent. Small children are barely staying awake, leaning against their parents as their lively eyes droop in exhaustion.

"Do you want anything?" I question, walking to the counter where a smiley barista greets me.

He grunts and shakes his head, his salt and pepper hair falling around his face. "No, but Lydia. You need to know-"

"One tall coffee with cream and sugar." I say, keeping my order short and simple.

"Okay, name?" They question as I pass them some cash and change.

"Lydia." I mutter, then nod in approval as they scribble my name.

When my order is said, I retrieve it from the barista, smiling when the perfection meets my lips. I lead Douglas to a table in the front, right by the entrance and sigh, waiting for him to continue.

"What is it that you were so worried about?" I question.

"Your tail might fully disappear in due time."

My eyes widen at his words. Disappear? What is he talking about?

"Care to explain further?" I take a gulp of the steaming hot coffee. The liquid burns and I nearly sputter at the pain.

"I was extremely mad when I first found out you are a mermaid-"

"Could you say it any louder?" I hiss, lowering his head to the table.

He rolls his eyes at me before continuing to say, "For years, since my wife and daughter were... well, taken by your kind-"

"Why would we take them?" I ask, sipping my drink. His accusing tone is getting really annoying by now.