VI. ANOTHER BOY

vi. another boy
- silks of heaven, chapter six -

NOVEMBER FADED INTO DECEMBER and the snow was getting heavier

NOVEMBER FADED INTO DECEMBER and the snow was getting heavier. Christmas was getting closer and closer. Jasmine and Caspian were becoming closer everyday; he was filling the gap in her life where Regulus used to be.

She was sitting miserably in Transfiguration, staring at the clock, as the time slowly ticked on. Regulus was sitting next to her, unfortunately, but he had his chair at the end of the table, eager to sit as far away as possible from her.

Professor McGonagall walked down the tables, Christmas homework in hand. She passed them to the students, one by one.

"Mr. Black, I cannot get past your table. May you move your chair back to normal?" she asked sternly, glaring at Regulus through her round speculates.

"Professor, I moved —"

"I insist, Black," she cut him off. A heavy breath escaped his mouth and he loudly dragged his chair closer to Jasmine's.

"I don't bite, Regulus," she hushed as he placed his head in his hands.

"I just don't think it's necessary that we speak to each other. You know?" he said, half-smiling.

"Look, I'm trying to sort out our friendship, Regulus, but if you're going to treat me like shit, then I'll stop trying to be the better person," she hissed.

James was sat at the front, next to Peter, and he whipped round, staring right at her. She forced a smile toward his direction. He shifted his attention to Regulus and glared at him. When James turned back to face the front, she turned back to Regulus.

"Honestly, I wonder why we're not friends anymore. I miss it," she muttered to him. His face fell.

"I know, but you —"

"If you think me talking about you and Sirius is as bad as all the bullshit you've put me through, then think again, Black."

He stared at her. His face looked pale and tired; she never noticed it until now. His eyes softened as he focused on her face.

"I'm sorry, Jas, truly. But you don't deserve me. You deserve better. Stop pitying me because I have a hard life back home," he said gently.

She huffed and started packing her things into her bag as the end of lesson neared.

"I know that I deserve better, but I want ... I want what we had back. I was happier," she said, biting on her tongue. "But it's fine. I messed up."

"Jas, I miss it too," he said, struggling for words.

She shrugged and looked up at Professor McGonagall. She started dismissing tables to leave the classroom.