VII. HOGWARTS EXPRESS

vii. hogwarts express
- silks of heaven, chapter seven -

SHE SAT IN THE Hogwarts Express compartment, her eyes skidding the pages of her book

SHE SAT IN THE Hogwarts Express compartment, her eyes skidding the pages of her book. Perched on the bridge of her nose were her reading glasses. Her hair was sat up on her head in a messy ponytail. Sitting next to her was her twin brother, nibbling on a Chocolate Frog. He was trainsick. And opposite the twins were their best friends, comfortable in each other's arms.

"Jasmine, I think I'm going to faint," James said, feeling lightheaded. Jasmine rolled her eyes.

"Okay. Well, we're nearly home," Jasmine replied bluntly. "And you'll be fine."

"James, just eat the chocolate, you'll feel better," Remus chimed in, "trust me."

James bit the head off of the Chocolate Frog and huffed loudly.

"Not working, Remu."

Remus rolled his eyes.

"You obviously have to wait for a little bit," he said.

Sirius laughed and said, "James, you are honestly such an idiot."

Jasmine wasn't paying attention to them. Her eyes were still on the book. Until she heard the compartment door slide open and her eyes shifted towards the person opening the door.

Regulus stood there awkwardly and avoided eye contact with Sirius.

"Not now, Regulus," Jasmine muttered without making eye contact. He sighed.

"Just outside. It will literally take two seconds," Regulus said impatiently.

The reason she didn't want to talk to him is because liked Caspian now. If she talked to him, she feared she'd admit her feelings for him and mess things all up.

"No. Just wait till we get to mine."

He sighed again. "Please?"

She shut her book and stood up. Chucking it back on her seat, she walked outside to him and shut the compartment door.

"If you've come to apologise, then I forgive you. I considered us friends since the Hogsmeade incident," she hissed.

He looked hurt, but cleared his throat and nodded.

"Sounds right. I'll — uh — see you at yours, then?"

She rolled her eyes. "Obviously. Now may I go back inside?"

"Uh — yeah, that's — yeah."

She smiled at him meaningfully and went back inside with the others.

***

As the train slowed down, the students started to get ready to leave. The Marauders and Jasmine were first to make their way down the train's hallways.

Jasmine was exhausted and couldn't wait to get home and sleep. Her and James stood on King's Cross platform, waiting for Regulus to get off the train.

They saw him soon after, walking slowly. James gave Jasmine a look and walked ahead. Jasmine waited for Regulus and when he was walking next to her, she looked at him from the side.

"How — how are you?" she asked kindly.

He gave her a weird look.

"Tired," he said weakly. "I can't thank you enough for inviting me, Jas."

"It's nothing, honestly," she smiled at him and cautiously moved closer to him as they walked. "Mum and Dad are waiting for us outside. Poor Mum's been cleaning all week, said she can't wait to see you."

He laughed as they exited the station. James was outside with their parents. Euphemia smiled when she saw them and ran up to hug Jasmine.

"And this is Regulus, am I right?" she asked after letting go of Jasmine. "Looks just like his brother."

Jasmine shook her head at her, signalling not to talk about his family.

Behind Euphemia stood Fleamont, his arm around James.

"We've set up a Port-key," he said after loudly clearing his throat. "Let's go, then?"

Jasmine nodded and turned to Regulus.

"Come on, Reg."

He was relieved that she treated him like she did before. Calling him by his nicknames was something she did only when they were friends.

"Right behind you ..."

IT WAS LATE WHEN they got home and they had no time to have dinner. The three of them went to bed as soon as they unpacked.

Regulus slept in the guest room, the room in between James' and Jasmine's. When Jasmine finished unpacking, she went over to check on Regulus in his room.

He had just shut the drawers after unpacking his clothes. He got changed into plaid pajama pants and wasn't wearing a shirt. Jasmine felt butterflies in her stomach when he saw her and she could see him properly.

"Hello, love," he said, grinning like an idiot.

"Oh, gosh, don't call me that," she erupted into laughter. "Unpack yet?"

She noticed him hiding his arm behind his back but she didn't take much notice.

"Uh, yeah, just finished," he said. "Where's James?"

"Probably in his room writing to Lily," she shrugged, "why'd you ask?"

"Just wondered if he was awake or not," he answered.

There was silence surrounding them for a few awkward moments. Then Jasmine finally spoke up loudly.

"Well, goodnight, Reggie," she managed. "Sweet dreams."

He laughed as she left the room.

He didn't know how he'll resist himself from admitting his feelings while staying, but first things first. How on earth was he meant to hide his Dark Mark while staying?

"Night, Jas!" he shouted down the hall as she entered her room.