XV. ASTRONOMY TOWER

xv. astronomy tower
- silks of heaven, chapter fifteen -

"I'M NOT GOING TO stand here and wait for you! Speed up!"

Jasmine and James were walking to their first class together. James was far ahead from his sister, she was slower than usual today.

"James, I'm sorry, my legs are aching," Jasmine uttered. "Be considerate. For once?"

An exasperated sigh escaped James' mouth as he slowed down and walked beside the brunette girl.

"Come on, I'll drag you. I don't want to be late to Minnie's class," James said and clutched her wrist. He dragged her down the hallway and past the students rushing the other way. She didn't have time to protest; before she knew it, they had made it to Transfiguration.

She gave James an overly sweet smile and dragged her legs to the back of the class. Waiting for her in his usual seat was Regulus.

Jasmine smirked at him as she sat down, memories of the previous night all rushing back. He didn't smile back though. She noticed that he looked different.

His face was paler than usual, his under-eyes were dark and his hair was messy. When he looked up at her, she noticed the exhaustion in his eyes.

"Regulus, did you get any sleep last night?" she put her hand on his. He immediately pulled her hand off, making her smile fall and her heart sink.

"People are looking," he muttered effortlessly. "I got a letter from my mother last night and it kept me up."

"Why? What did she write?" Jasmine asked eagerly.

"You don't need to know," he said. "Family stuff."

She turned away with him and fiddled with her hands. Why was he acting like this? Completely neglecting her?

They didn't share a word for the rest of the class, instead they sat in silence while the time ticked on. When the class ended, Jasmine collected her stuff quickly and caught up with Sirius and James.

WHEN IT WAS FINALLY dinner time, Jasmine tried to eat as quickly as she could, so she could leave the Hall and go up to her dorm. She wasn't in the mood for the boys' antics.

Remus sat next to her and he noticed her sudden change in mood. He always noticed small things like these.

"What's up?" he asked quietly. She looked up at him and scrunched her face up in confusion.

"Nothing. Why'd you ask?" she lied nervously.

"I know when you're lying to me, Jasmine," he guffawed. "You're quieter than usual. If Jas is quiet then something must be wrong."

She knew that no matter what she told him, he would know that something was wrong. He just knew her too well. The obvious truth was that she couldn't tell him about her and Regulus' relationship.