x. 𝚏𝚊𝚒𝚝𝚑

HOWARD AND Peggy stood next to each other a few days later as Colonel Phillips glared over at them while he spoke. Howard had hope that his sister was okay, but it had been so long. He swallowed harshly, trying not to think otherwise about his sister's safety. Peggy reached over, grabbing Howard's hand to squeeze it once.

"Senator Brandt," Colonel Phillips began, "I regret to report that Captain Steven G. Rogers and Agent Evelyn V. Stark went missing behind enemy lines on the third. Aerial reconnaissance has proven unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers and Agent Stark killed in action. Period."

Peggy let Howard's hand go as she walked forward with the clipboard in hand. "The last surveillance flight is back. No sign of activity."

"Go get a cup of coffee, Corporal," Phillips said to the writer.

"Yes, sir."

"I can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the Army's number one weapons contractor. You are neither one," Phillips said to Peggy. Howard was about to retort something when Peggy subtly shook her head at him.

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain Rogers or Agent Stark did either."

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions. I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's golden boy, Stark, and a lot of other good men are dead, cause you had a crush," Phillips sneered her way.

"It wasn't that. I had faith."

"Well, I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down."

Howard perked up just as soldiers started running excitedly around the camp. Peggy and Colonel Phillips both looked around in confusion. "What the hell's going on out there?" Howard mumbled before the three ran quickly out where the othet soldiers were. At the opening of the camp, soldiers were marching forward with Steve, Evelyn, and Bucky leading the group.

"Look who it is!" a man yelled just as everyone began cheering. Behind the soldiers walking were tanks, and Howard and Peggy noticed weapons from the other side in their arms. Howard felt a relieved breath leave his lungs as he saw Evelyn in Bucky's embrace. They were both okay, Steve too. That was all he wished for.

Steve stopped and saluted when he made it in front of Colonel Phillips. "Some of these men need medical attention," he said before adding, "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

"That won't be necessary," Phillips said softly as Steve dropped his arm with a small smile on his face. Phillips looked at Evelyn and Bucky. "Good to see you still alive, Stark 2."

"Good to see you, Colonel," Evelyn said softly in return.

Phillips turned to face Howard and Peggy. "Faith, huh?"

Peggy and Howard walked forward to the trio. "You're late," she said to them.

Steve held up the broken transponder with a timid smile. "Couldn't call my ride."

Bucky grinned, tightening his hold on his girl. "Hey! Let's hear it for Captain America and Evelyn!"

The crowd of soldiers cheered around them, deafening in the level of loudness. Steve flushed slightly as Peggy clapped along with them. Bucky turned, finally placing his lips on Evelyn's now that they were safe.

"I've missed you," Bucky said seriously, his lips hovering over hers. He opened his mouth to say something else when a cough broke their gaze.

"All right," Howard began with a scowl, "hands off my sister, Barnes."

Bucky smirked as Evelyn jumped into Howard's awaiting arms, knowing how much the siblings relied on each other. Evelyn knew how Howard was feeling despite him thinking he was good at hiding emotions. He was worried out of his mind that he had flown his sister to her death.