3 | the replacement

CHAPTER 3,

THE REPLACEMENT

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

KEELA HAS BEEN wandering around her house in a somber mood as usual, lingering around in the kitchen in search for snacks as the faint sound of the television plays in the background. Nothing that catches her interest specifically is currently being aired, leaving her to fall even deeper into a sense of boredom. Now, life is different from the constant fighting and has switched to constant nothingness.

However, something in particular suddenly manages to catch all of her attention. Keela drops everything that was once in her hands back down onto the counter in the kitchen, practically speeding around the corner and out of the room. She sits down on the carpeted floor and leans back against her leather couch. Brown eyes instantly glue onto the pixelated screen located ahead of her, watching it curiously.

"Unrest, in the wake of recent events has left vulnerable." The man over the tv begins. "Every day Americans feel it. While we live heroes who put their lives on the line to defend Earth, we also need a hero to defend this country. We need a real person who embodies America's greatest values."

A frown of confusion falls upon her face. She couldn't help but question why this is being aired live to the thousands of people watching as they have heroes protecting them (the Avengers). The Falcon is one of the people that continues to roam around and fight against the enemies, making sure that the world remains a safe place for society.

"We need someone to inspire us again, someone who can be a symbol for all of us." The man continues. "So, on behalf of the Department of Defence and our Commander-in-Chief, it is with great honour that we announce here today that the United States of America has a new hero. Join me in welcoming your new Captain America."

Cheers can be heard from the crowd of civilians and reporters standing in front of the man giving out the speech, clapping of hands following it. Out walks the man himself in a newly designed suit and with Steve's vibranium shield gripped tightly in his left hand. A smug smile is etched onto his shaven face as he glances out at the people standing before him, knowing that he's sworn to protect them all by taking on this role. He has to live up to Captain America's name and be one of the greatest hero they can have in honour of the fallen Avengers.

Keela, on the other hand, isn't the slightest bit happiest about this news. She was not told that they would replace one of her best friends just like that. He was a hero to many people which means they all loved him and his work. She refuses to believe they replaced him with a new Captain America as quick and easily as they've done so — how could they be so cold to do that?

What makes things even worse is that she's now watching the stranger run out onto a football pitched filled with many decorations as a celebration for a new hero in the country. The stands are filled with thousands of people screaming and cheering on for their person they're now putting their trust in to protect their country like Steve Rogers once did. An anger only boils up inside of Keela, hating how he's acting like a celebrity when he's not even been on a mission and has stolen the title away. As well as that, Steve never even got a celebration like this for when he was announced as a super-soldier/hero — he got booed at by the military and became treated like some circus animal with constantly putting on acts.

"Thank you so much for coming." The woman says. "John, I think the first thing that everyone wants to is what is it like being Captain America? Do eagles fly overhead wherever you go?"

John laughs. "Yeah, that and flags tend to start majestically waving in the wind."

"The only thing waving in the wind is my fist colliding with your goddamn face." Keela angrily mutters to her TV.

"How's the tour been?" The woman asks. "I heard they did a big rollout for you."

"It's the greatest honour of my life, but I think I'm just a little shocked. How did a guy like me end up here?" John replies.

"Wait, wait. 'A guy like me?'" The woman repeats, laughing lightly. "Somebody's being a bit too humble. For those of you who aren't familiar with his resume, John Walker is the first person in American history to revive three Medals of Honour, and ran RS-One missions in counterterrorism and hostage rescue. The government did a study of your body at MIT and you tested off the charts in every measurable category."

"Here's the thing, I'm not Tony Stark, nor am I Dr Banner. I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength." John states. "But what I do have is guts. Something Captain America always had and always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it because I've got big shoes to fill."

"Did you know Steve Rogers?" The woman asks.

"I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene, so I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who would do that, he gave me hope." John explains. "Even though I never met him, he feels like a brother to me."

The brunette grows even more aggravated by the man onscreen, tempting her to throw something straight at the television and break the fragile screen so that she doesn't have to see his face ever again. Instead, she resorts to a much calmer option and just picks the remote up to switch it off. Though, Keela can't help but feel slightly guilty that she has this much annoyance towards a stranger when he seems to be only trying to do good in the world.