29 | karli's plan of distraction

CHAPTER 29,

KARLI'S PLAN OF DISTRACTION

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

KEELA AND BUCKY had gone around from door to door with the intention of the man apologising to the loved ones of his victims and seeking out for a way to prove that through kind actions. He's desperately trying to make the amends that he first wanted to do ever since the battle against Thanos ended. It had given him months of down time to figure things out for himself, as well as the peace he seeks.

Though, Bucky couldn't be more thankful to have the brunette woman right by his side during this all. Keela has guided him through and made sure that he's comfortable with the pace he's apologising to people at, not wanting him to be overwhelmed and panicked with the situations. She will also provide encouragement to show the pride that she holds so dearly for him.

"Kee, I don't know if I can keep doing this." Bucky admits. "How am I meant to make amends when I start getting nervous about what I should say? I keep panicking."

"You're doing amazing, Buck. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just give yourself some time and don't rush it." Keela reminds.

The brunet closes the small notebook that his eyes have been trained to for the past few minutes, memorising every detail of the names he's written down inside of it. A sigh of frustration exits his mouth as he runs his hand through his shirt hair.

"Look, you've got a good start with this. I mean, you're already starting to cross people off the list with just verbal apologies." Keela states. "And like Sam said, at least one person out of all of them will want your service."

Bucky doesn't say anything in response, sinking down in the chair of the desk at the hotel they're staying at. Keela just watches his actions as she stands very near to him. He then holds his arms out towards her as a silent way of asking for a hug. She smiles at how adorable he looks, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and allowing him to hold her close to him.

"You're okay, right?" Keela quietly asks, wanting to be certain.

"As long as you're with me, yeah." Bucky replies.

Keela's head shifts from the crook of his neck to where she is now only inches away from his face. Blue eyes stare into brown ones, like usual. She then leans forwards and gently presses her lips to his where they tenderly kiss. Bucky is quick to steal many more kisses and makes a light laugh exit her mouth in response.

"Come on. Let's order some food to eat and watch a film together." Keela suggests once they break the kiss. "It'll help you relax for now. It's late anyway."

Unfortunately, their little trip was abruptly cut short after receiving a very urgent call from Sam Wilson. The man had relayed the message Torres had told him; he states to them that Karli is currently threatening the government and trying to keep people hostage for her own sake. This is what causes Keela and Bucky to immediately travel to where they are needed in this moment of time — Sharon joining them too, agreeing to work as a team.

All four of them are prepared for whatever fight is thrown their way, wearing the right gear and mentally readying themselves for anything that can happen. The adults have also hatches a plan before going head first into this situation in order to avoid nothing going wrong. They don't want to lose this fight and risk the lives of innocent people that got caught in the crossfire along the way.

Police and Armed Forces have even been contacted for this particular moment, needing to ensure the safety of the country they are sworn to protect. Cars can be seen crowded around outside the tall glass buildings as their lights constantly flash between red and blue to alert any passing civilians. It's advised that people steer clear of the situation unless they are specifically ordered to help out.

Sam soars the dark night skies in his fresh new suit that Bucky had gotten the Wakandans to make for a friend — specifically a Captain America suit since he has taken on the role now. The shield that the trio had managed to steal back from John Walker is gripped tightly in his hand in preparation for the fight they're entering. He lands himself into one of the higher-up floors of the tall building where the glass only shatters to the marble ground around him.

Meanwhile, Keela finds herself walking through large crowds of people with Bucky and Sharon right by her side. A Flag Smasher can be seen nearby as they scale the ground floor of the building, Sharon taking them as her target. This leaves the couple to separate from the blonde haired woman and make their way towards where people are evacuating. They aim to keep everyone inside of the building to avoid anyone being held hostage.

However, a brown haired woman appears from around the glass corner. A black phone is clutched in her hands and held up to her ear as she speaks to someone else on the other end of the line. She only stops Keela and Bucky in their tracks with her cold eyes trained onto them, informing them that the phone call is actually for them — "Mr Barnes and Miss Blake, it's Karli." she had said. The woman only handed over the device and walked away to give them the privacy of having a conversation.

"Karli?" Bucky cautiously says into the phone.

"Aren't you both tired of fighting for the wrong side?" Karli asks.

"We've done this before." Keela reminds.

"Then if you've done it before, why are you choosing to repeat your mistakes?" Karli questions.

"Because we didn't get that choice to make, but now we do." Bucky states. "We know how it ends, kid."

"It doesn't matter if I don't survive this." Karli informs. "I'm fighting for something bigger than myself. With all the bodies you've collected between the two of you, have you been able to say the same?"

Keela frowns. "You don't think we've ever fought for something bigger than ourselves?"

"That's all I've ever tried to do, and I failed twice." Bucky replies. "You think your cause justifies all this death, but the nightmares won't go away. You're just going to remember all the ones you killed."

"Trust us when we tell you not to do this. Don't go down this path." Keela tells her.

"If that's how you both feel, you guys should sit this one out." Karli says.

"You know that we won't be doing that." Bucky states.

"Well, thank you. I'm glad you both took my call because you've been a big help to me." Karli informs.

With that, the phone call abruptly ends before either of them can say anything and it leaves them standing there with realisation that the conversation was nothing more than a distraction all along. Karli smart and strategic with her plans of action and is always at least one step ahead of them, being careful that nothing is able to intervene their missions. This is something that people fall in the traps off — like Keela and Bucky in this moment of time.