Prologue: The Crossed Rose

For the past few years, nothing had really happened to Lord Walder Frey's children at the Twins. Sure, he had lost a wife and gotten married again in the past three years, but since then, the most exciting thing that had happened at the Crossing had been the return of his fifth true born daughter from her exile at Highgarden. Well, not exile, as Dahlia Frey would call it most of the time. It was mostly a relocation. Besides, Walder knew she had actually enjoyed her time spent at the Tyrell's seat. Dahlia would write to her brothers and sister and as much as they didn't know much of her, her sweet words and promises of return would always put a smile on their faces.

And return she did.

The Crossed Rose they were calling her and, ever since she came back two years prior, all of his sons and daughters were doting over her, recalling faintly the young babe she was when she was sent away - the ones who were already born when that happened, that is - and admiring the young woman she had become under the care of the Tyrells.

Walder Frey didn't particularly care. If he was being honest, he barely even remembered her name, but he couldn't deny it... Her time with the Tyrells had done her some good. A proper lady, she was. Posture always correct, voice sweet and gentle whenever speaking, smiles so pure she could get anyone to do anything for her. She was easily one of Walder's prettiest daughters with her light brown locks and warm brown eyes - she reminded Walder of her mother. If her mother was Bethany, that is - he wasn't entirely sure. In any case, she would be an easy one to marry off. Unlike her older sister Tyta, who couldn't seem to impress anyone enough to be sent off finally as a wife despite her already completed 30 years of age. If he was being honest, maybe Walder Frey should give up on Tyta completely. Tyta, the Maid they had been calling her already. She wouldn't be making a wife to anyone anymore. But his Crossed Rose, however... Oh, she would make for a pretty wife, for certain.

Walder Frey had already been thinking about who to offer Dahlia to. In reality, he had wanted her married to Loras Tyrell back in Highgarden, but, for whatever reason, that hadn't worked. Rumor has it Ser Loras Tyrell preferred the company of men in his bed, but that never meant he couldn't take a wife. And if Dahlia had been the one, maybe the Freys would never go hungry again - being sent always supplies from the South - and Lord Walder would finally be able to stop kissing so many Tully asses just to survive. That clearly hadn't worked, however, and now that Dahlia was back, he needed a new plan. Maybe he could have her sent off to Edmure Tully - she'd make a fine lady for the Riverlands and it didn't hurt to have his own blood tied by marriage to such a powerful family. After all, no matter how much he despised them, they were his Lords and that wouldn't be changing all too soon.

Before those arrangements could be made, however - and thankfully for him -, word of Ned Stark's imprisonment at the capital reached the Seven Kingdoms and Walder Frey was sure his honorable, young, foolish son would march South with his bannermen to rescue his Papa. But if he wanted to make it to King's Landing, the Stark boy - Robb, he thought he was called - would have to pass by him, and if he was as young as people told him he was, maybe he could be a good match to his daughter.

After all, sending his precious Crossed Rose North where his house had no influence at all - and with Stark name, no less - could only be beneficial for a house that has stood tall so many years, in nothing but wits and cunning.

Dahlia Frey

Much too Frey for the Tyrells and much too Tyrell for the Freys, but a Stark through and through