Lies of betrayal

Dahlia laughed again, as she sat on a chair in Jeyne's chambers while the woman sat on her bed, telling her yet another tale of her time with her siblings back at the Crag.

"Rollam had always been gullible, the poor thing." Jeyne smiled, sharing some of Dahlia's bread and cheese, way more at ease at the Queen's presence now that she started to see her as more of a friend. "So he was always the main target of our practical jokes."

"Poor little guy." Dahlia smiled. "But I suppose that's the function of a little brother. Olyvar was always being picked on by Perwyn and Will too."

"Not you?"

"Oh, me too." Dahlia nodded with a laugh. "Especially after I returned from Highgarden. But I was less a target than Olyvar. Probably because I was a girl and the boys felt more the need to protect me than Olyvar. But I was definitely teased more than Roslin. But the girl is too sweet to be teased at all."

"I would love to meet your sister Roslin." Jeyne said. "You always speak so dearly of her."

"She's lovely." Dahlia nodded. "I'm sure you two would get along. And I would love to meet your siblings as well. They sound like splendid people."

"They are." Jeyne nodded, but there was something else behind her words. Maybe she had been missing him these past few days.

"Perhaps I could start with Ser Raynald." Dahlia commented, gently, a little tentative. "Is he angry at us for taking him from his home?"

"He understands." Jeyne shrugged a little, her hands coming to play a little with her skirts over her dress. "He's not pleased, I suppose, but he understands why it had to be done. King Robb did conquer the Crag, after all. Taking him as a ward was possibly the most merciful thing his Grace could have possibly done."

"I see." Dahlia nodded then. "Do you speak to him?"

"Whenever I can." Jeyne said.

"That's good." Dahlia smiled. "Maybe someday you could introduce us?"

At that, Jeyne hesitated for a second, and Dahlia frowned at the unexpected reaction. Before she could even start wondering if she had said anything wrong, there was a knock on the door. The two young women stopped talking for a moment and turned to it. Dahlia made move to stand up, but, before she could, Jeyne jumped to her feet to go answer her door instead.

Dahlia almost rolled her eyes at the gesture, but smiled endeared, anyway. She was fairly certain Robb had talked to Jeyne in private to have her pay more attention to Dahlia now that she was carrying his child, but Dahlia had a feeling Jeyne would be doing that even if her King hadn't asked her of it.

"My Lady." The man outside the door bowed his head to Jeyne as soon as the woman pulled the door open. Dahlia frowned. She recognized that voice. It was the Blackfish. "Is her Grace with you?"

"Yes, my Lord." Jeyne nodded. "She's just inside."

"Well, I apologize for the interruption, but the King is requesting his wife's presence right now." The Blackfish said, and, at the mention of Robb, Dahlia was up on her feet in a flash, walking over to him and Jeyne and nodding when the man bowed at her. "Your Grace. Would you accompany me?"

"Of course." She nodded, turning to Jeyne with a small smile. "My apologies, Lady Jeyne, but I should go and see what my husband wants of me. I should be back before supper. If I'm not, I'll send someone to your chambers with the food."

"Thank you, your Grace." Jeyne nodded her head, holding the door open for Dahlia to pass and watching as the woman wrapped her arm around the Blackfish's and walked away before closing it again.