Chapter 20

After a millennium, Jack reemerged from upstairs with wet hair and he flopped down on the couch next to me. He smelled like body wash and shampoo from his shower and it was intoxicating. 

"What's up, mate?" he asked. I flinched a little at the word "mate". It made me uncomfortable. I told him everything that happened with Candy Pop and Hayden.

"Fuck, I'm sorry I wasn't there. Are you okay?" his voice was soft and soothing. 

"Yeah, I'm alright. Do you know who attacked me?" 

"Not well, but yeah."

"Well, who is he??" I asked impatiently.

"He's kind of a demon who takes people's souls," he said casually.  

"I'm sorry, whAT?!" I asked. 

"I never said I was mates with the man. I just know 'im!" he sounded flabbergasted. 

"Okay, so why didn't he take my soul? Or did he?..." I asked. 

"He didn't, you'd be dead. That's what I'm having trouble figuring out...." he started to get lost in thought trying to figure it out. His head was turned and he was focused intently on no spot in particular in the distance. His face was hardened, his features stiff. I examined his face and couldn't find a single flaw. He looked back at me and my heart skipped a beat. I cleared my throat and looked down. 

"Do you want to go somewhere with me?" he asked randomly but so softly. 

"Of course."

"Okay. Go get ready and meet me down here when you're done."

I nodded and went up to my closet to find something to wear. I was nervous because I didn't know where we were going or why. I picked a dress that was casual but still very beautiful. I took a little bit to put on some light makeup and fix my hair a little after my run-in with a soul-sucking demon. 

I paused and looked at myself in the mirror, remembering Caden. My life before England. Nearly everything had changed since I moved here, but I loved all of it. I loved being here because for the first time in a long time, I felt alive again. 

I felt a very brief and short pain in my shoulder blades and it brought me back to the present moment. It faded and I sighed, trotting back down the stairs and stopping in front of Jack.

"You know it's astonishing how you can always look so beautiful," he said with a smile. 

I turned bright red and smiled at him, not able to think of a response. He chuckled and motioned for me to go with him as he headed for the garage. We walked up to his silver and black, futuristic-looking car. 

"Woah, this is fancy," I said.

He chuckled as we got in. The interior was red and black and he had LED lights along the top and bottom of the inside of the car. The word 'Lamborghini' was written in cursive above the airbag. 

"This is a Lambo???!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, Love," he chuckled again. I stared at the car in awe and instantly felt comfortable as he started driving. 

* * * * 

I was pulled out of my daydream when the car stopped. We were in front of an old, tall castle made of brick. Surrounding the property there were rolling green hills that eventually led into rocky cliffs. 

"Oh, wow. What is this?" I asked, astonished. 

"This is a castle that used to belong to a Queen many generations ago."