Chapter 2

As soon as I opened the front door, Caden hugged me and picked me up. The familiar scent of my home and his cologne made my body relax in his arms.

"Welcome back," he said before kissing me.

"Thank you," I replied.

I filled him in on what happened while I was there and about the hooded man. And, of course, I couldn't leave out the part about me almost getting kidnapped.

"Shit, babe. That's really scary. I don't like that you were there alone," Caden replied, furrowing his eyebrows.

"It's okay. I'm not hurt or anything." He kissed the top of my head and walked towards the door.

"Well, I hate to do this as soon as you get back, but I have to go into school. More training for work. I'm sure you're tired though from the jet lag."

"I am. It's okay. I'll see you tomorrow, baby."

"I love you."

"Love you too."

* * * *

It felt so nice to be asleep. Traveling across the world had exhausted me. I was dreaming very lightly and not about anything important. My body was surprisingly relaxed.

I heard my window opening very quietly and my eyes flashed open. I stayed silent, pretending to still be asleep. I knew exactly who it was. I heard him softly land on my carpet and gently close the window.

In one fast, smooth movement, I rolled off of my bed and grabbed the gun I had on my nightstand. I had an uneasy feeling about being left alone tonight, so I decided to keep it nearby. I cocked it and aimed it at him.

"Get on the ground, you bastard."

He put his arms up and kneeled down. I approached him and took the weapon out of his hand: a scalpel. I briefly patted him down, but didn't find any more.

"You a cop or somethin'?" he spoke for the first time with a strong British accent and a mildly deep voice. His voice sounded a little muffled.

"Maybe."

"Ya know it's illegal to impersonate a cop."

"You know it's illegal to break into someone's house and try to kidnap them, right?!" I yelled.

He laughed a little bit, which just infuriated me. I kept the gun aimed at him.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that, Love."

"Who the hell are you?" I questioned firmly.

"You can call me Jack. Who are you?"

"That's really none of your business. Did you follow me here from England?"

"Yeah, I did." He said it like it was as normal as buying a muffin.

"Would you care to explain WHY?" I asked, anger dripping off my lips.

"Well, sure. But you're not going to believe me."

"Try me," I threatened.

"From a distance, you looked exactly like someone I knew. Now that I'm seeing you up close, you look nothing alike. Funny innit?"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" I was irritated by him making jokes.

"I was just trying to make light of the situation. I'm genuinely sorry."

"Who is so important that you would follow them to another fucking country?"

"You wouldn't understand." He sounded jarringly serious.