Chapter 7

I was sleeping alone, yet again. I sat up in my bed, tired of being alone. I was tired of my thoughts and tired of the same dull feeling that sat with me always. I was tired of being friends with my loneliness.

Then, I saw Jack at my window.

I was startled, then angry. I opened the window and looked at him.

"Are you crazy?!"

"Well, of course. I am a stalker after all." He refused to stop mocking me for that.

"You're lucky Caden isn't home. What are you doing here?"

"I figured I had pretty good odds that he wouldn't be. You're coming with me."

"But it's the middle of the night."

"You clearly weren't sleeping anyway. Get dressed."

"Fine." It was hard for me to act angry because I was pretty delighted that he showed up. He was saving me from my own madness.

"Look away!" I yelled at him. He walked away, no longer standing in front of my window. I put on a hoodie and leggings, threw on a pair of converse, then walked over to the window. I crawled out of it and closed it behind me.

My phone was in the pocket of my hoodie, weighing it down a little.

"So, how's your night going?" he asked awkwardly.

"Not so good. I couldn't sleep."

"Neither could I."

He led me through our neighborhood and we were walking for quite awhile.

"Where are we going?" I finally asked.

"You'll see."

I sighed and grabbed my phone, looking at the time: 4:37 AM. I groaned and put it back. Jack seemed relaxed as he walked, as if this was normal. I bit my lip and looked everywhere but at him. My eyes finally moseyed over to him and I scanned him. He was wearing a black hoodie and black jeans ripped at the knees. I felt my cheeks heating up and I wasn't quite sure why.

We finally emerged in the downtown part of the city, which was very close to our neighborhood, hence why we walked. He stopped in front of a large building.

"We're going up," he told me, pointing at the roof. I wanted to object, but I thought it might actually be cool to go up there. He jumped up to the ladder, which started about 7ft off the ground. He crouched down on the bottom rung and extended one hand down. He expected me to jump as well. I sighed and jumped up, grabbing his hand. He managed to pull me up with one arm, then led me up the fire escape.

We hurdled over the ledge of the building, appearing on the roof. I walked to the edge and looked over at the city.

"This is a neat little spot," I said very awkwardly. I wasn't sure what to say, but that was definitely not it.

"Yeah. It's nice to get away sometimes." He sounded a little sad, so I looked over at him. He was staring out at the few lights still on.

The stars and moon were shining brightly tonight and they gave off a soft glow. 

"Jack?" I asked, feeling relatively comfortable with my new, strange friend.

"Yes?"

"Will you please take your mask off?" I turned my entire body towards him, leaning against the ledge. He didn't answer right away and he seemed to be debating it heavily.

"Promise not to ask questions?" he asked, not in the mood to answer them.

I held my pinky up to him and he chuckled. He laced his pinky with mine, then lowered his hand. He slowly took his mask off and lowered it, allowing me to look at him.

I tried to hide my shock as I noticed his skin tone for the first time. It had a greyish hue, but it didn't look too strange. His eyeholes weren't nearly as big as they appeared to be on his mask— just the size of actual eyes. They black substance was also leaking down his face, though not as heavily as on the mask. The rest of his facial structure was very nice and normal.

Fuck. He's hot. Like really hot. STOP BLUSHING YOU IDIOT. Oh shit. Okay. What do I say? 'You're hot as fuckkkk.' No, we're not saying that. Oh yeah, I have a boyfriend. And his name is Caden. And I love him. He is also attractive. Oh how long have I been staring at him? He thinks I'm weird, doesn't he? Well this is going great.

"You gonna say something, love?" he asked, weirded out by my staring. My heart was beating so fast and I started to feel very nervous. As he spoke, I noticed that his teeth were sharp and pointy. I had a million questions, but I was going to keep my promise.

"You.. you're.." I wasn't sure what to say exactly. He furrowed his eyebrows, confused.

"That's a nice face you've got there," was what I finally managed to say.

"Thank you.... I think. Was that a compliment?"

"Yes."

"Then thank you."

I couldn't stop staring at him and I felt him staring back. Without thinking, I stepped closer and put my hand on his cheek, not caring about the black substance. He tensed up, but allowed me to touch him. He watched me carefully and swallowed hard. I bit my lip as I stared at his. He put one hand on my lower back and it sent electricity throughout my body. My eyes met his and I desperately wanted to kiss him.

I realized what I was doing and cleared my throat. I backed away from him, taking my hand back.

"I'm sorry, I don't know... why I did that. But we're just friends... you know because of Caden... whom I love very much." The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I didn't want to be a cheater.

"Do you?" he asked innocently.

"Of course." I don't know. I did love him, but I was starting to question how much.

He turned away from me and leaned against the building's edge, admiring the city.

"Can I tell you something?" I asked.

"Always."

"I feel so empty. Like, I just don't feel stuff like I should."

"Like a psychopath?" he asked.

"No, not like that. I just feel numb. I don't know."

"Ah, I gotcha. Is it all the time or only sometimes?"

"Well, it was all the time...." Jack was making me feel less empty. I felt so guilty that I felt numb around Caden and not Jack, but I couldn't do anything about it. Jack was exciting and he made me nervous and got me to laugh.

"But now it's not?"

"No."

"When is it not?"

"When I'm around you," I admitted.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're funny and you kinda scare me and make me nervous sometimes, but I'm at least feeling stuff."

He smiled and I was happy I got to see it.

"Do you feel numb around your imaginary boyfriend?" he asked, subtly weaving in a joke. I rolled my eyes, trying not to laugh.

"Yeah."

"Hmm." I knew exactly what he was thinking for once.

"Well, that's what friends are for, I guess." Friends. The word stung coming from him this time. That's what we were, so I don't know why I cared. I didn't want anything more, but it sounded worse this time.

"Yes," was all I could manage.

"Do you like ice cream?" he asked randomly.

"Well, duh. Who doesn't?" I suddenly forgot about my thought.

"Do you like potato crisps, or chips as you call them?"

"I do."

"Ever had them together?"

"Ewwww no."

"Well, you're about to." He grabbed my hand innocently and led me back to the stairway. His hand touching mine made my heart jump with excitement