Chapter 12

During the flight to England, I mostly slept and watched a couple movies. Jack read and slept the entire time. He was wearing a sweatshirt with a big hood to keep his face covered. I still wasn't sure how he avoided questioning from TSA, but he managed it somehow.

When our flight finally landed, Jack grabbed a taxi for us. He stayed quiet while I engaged in small talk with the driver.

We arrived at a giant house in a normal-looking neighborhood. The other houses were also big, but Jack's was definitely the biggest. I wasn't sure how he afforded to live here, but I assumed he lived with roommates. Jack led me inside and I paused to admire everything. The house was even bigger on the inside and it was absolutely gorgeous. It looked lived in, but it was neat for a guy's house. The fixtures and furniture were modern, but cozy. The kitchen was stainless steel and dark brown wood with granite counter tops.

"Wow. You live here?" I finally asked.

"I do."

"Do you live with roommates?"

"No. This is all me."

"You're fucking kidding. What do you do for work?" I asked.

He looked away from me uncomfortably.

"I'm not really ready to talk about that, if that's okay," he said.

"Yeah, of course."

"Alright, well do you want a tour?"

"YES!"

He chuckled and started taking me around the living room, kitchen, bathrooms, office, spare bedrooms, lounge areas, loft, library, and a couple other rooms.

"Jack, this house is amazing."

"Thank you. This is my room. You can choose any of the spare rooms you want. There's some downstairs and a couple up here." He opened the door to his room, which had a ton of music equipment and decorations around.

"Oooh." I walked into his room without really asking, looking around at the equipment.

"You make music?" I asked.

"I play a couple instruments and I produce a little. It's just a hobby."

"That's sick." I turned to him and smiled. He took his mask off and was smiling back at me.

"Well, I think I'll stay in the room next to yours. I don't want to be downstairs by myself."

"Fair enough." He laughed. "And if I ever have friends over they usually stay downstairs."

"You have friends?" I joked.

"I do. You do not."

"I do too."

"I don't count."

I stuck my tongue out at him and laughed.

We both went back downstairs and he helped me carry my stuff up into my new room.

"You can do whatever you want to the room. It's yours now. You can paint it if you want."

"Thank you." I turned around and faced Jack. Neither of us said anything, we just stared at each other. 

"Of course." 

"So. This giant house and you don't have a girlfriend?" I realized I was a bit forward by asking that. 

"And what's making you ask that?" He stepped closer to me, so I backed up. He kept following me until I was against the wall, and he put one hand on the wall next to me.