11

JONATHAN DIDN'T COME TO school that week. The only reason Delilah knew was because everyone kept asking her where he was and whether it was true that they were in a relationship. To both questions she simply shrugged, not caring enough about the rumors to dispel them. She had been too caught up in chasing gods as of lately, so she focused on her school work, finally settling into college. After all, she had been in contact with murderers way too much this past week, the one that had stopped them still not caught.

It was Tuesday in her second week when she saw Jonathan again, right as she was walking with James to the cafetaria. James was enthusiastically explaining a theory he had learned in class today, only to freeze when his gaze landed on Jonathan. If Delilah had not been there with Jonathan when he had broken down, one look at his face now would have made her believe everything was completely fine. He was laughing with a group of people around him, always the center of attention, slapping one of his friends on the shoulder when he made a joke.

When he saw her, his mask of amusement fell for a moment, becoming something sincere as he nodded at her.

"How are you, Delilah?" he said.

His friends began whistling, shouting all over each other, Jonathan seeming to be used to it as he rolled his eyes.

"Look at him go, flirting this early in the morning!"

"Think about us single people, John, this hurts."

"Aren't you going to introduce us?"

"Hush," Jonathan said, gesturing at them to shut up," you're scaring her."

They were in fact not scaring her, but she let him have his fun.

James looked between them, hands clenched beside him so tightly his knuckles had gone white.

"I'm fine," Delilah said, glancing at James for a second before she smiled at Jonathan," I'm glad to see you're as well, I was worried. We'll talk later though, okay? I'm heading somewhere with James right now."

"Yeah sure," Jonathan nodded, ignoring the suggestive remarks his friends made about them talking later.

Right as he passed her he turned to look over his shoulder, voice clear.

"Hey Delilah," he called out," if you ever need anything, let me know, alright? My brothers know to help you as well, whenever you need them to. You're always welcome at my frat."

James frowned, lips parting like he wanted to say something, but he refrained in time. Instead she spoke, voice warm.

"You know I'm always there if you need someone to talk to."

He smiled, something so bright his earlier expressions paled in comparison.

"Thank you."

When they moved on, James was quiet, only breaking the silence when they had turned the corner.

"So it's true?" he said," you're dating that guy?"

"No, I'm not," she replied easily, pointing outside," look! That cloud is shaped like a heart, how adorable."

James looked taken aback, stopping in the middle of the hallway, causing her to come to a halt as well. He placed his hands in front of his face, sighing, and when he moved them out of the way to push his dark hair back, his cheeks were flushed, relief glittering in his eyes.

"Thank God," he whispered.

"James?" she asked.

"It's nothing," he said, shaking his head," I was just -" He paused, before continuing. "It's nothing."