39

"WHAT'S GOING ON, DELILAH? Please, say something."

She had walked from the party straight to their dorms, James and Theresa having followed her all the way back. Still, she paid them no mind as she packed her stuff, even though she didn't know what she was packing it for. There would be no need for any of this when she was back weaving souls and breathing power, but once, when she had been carefree, these things had meant the world. The crystals slipped through her hands, clattering on the floor as she grabbed the astronomy book from her desk. Even mortal, she never could stay away from the stars.

"Something's clearly wrong," Theresa pressed," it's like you've become a completely different person."

"I haven't," she said softly, turning around towards them then," it seems I've been this way all along."

"You're the kindest person I know," Theresa said," so if something's up, tell me. I want to help you, I do."

How sweet she was. Even her soul colored pink, Delilah glancing at it momentarily before she moved towards her. James didn't speak, but he didn't need to. She could see the magic holding him together fade as her mother lost power. Soon, he wouldn't be there anymore.

"I don't think I am who you think, Tess," she said," so it's time for me to take my leave."

Her friend reached out to take her hand, squeezing it gently. How did she have a heart this warm when it was filled with so much ache?

"Oh, but I do, Delilah," she said," you're gentle, you're dreamy, you're bizarrely optimistic. You consider my feelings even in a situation where you're clearly upset. Please, tell me what's going on."

Delilah breathed in, her lungs finally filling with air again. She had been holding her tension and her grief behind anger for too long now and her facade would break soon enough. First, she had to grant one of her only human friends a kindness though, one which was long overdue. Her hands cupped Delilah's cheeks, a smile on her face as she looked at her.

"Your heart is still so gentle," she said," no one will break it anymore, I promise you that."

"What's that?" Theresa chuckled softly," some magic spell?"

"In a way," Delilah replied," you'll be happy, Tess."

She walked away then, but James grabbed her wrist before she could leave the room. Her gaze flicked over towards him, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. For the first time, it seemed like he was seeing her.

"I - I love you," he said.

"And now you will finally forget me," she said.

James' eyes became clouded as her magic took over and he walked away without another word. In an hour, he'd blow away with the wind. Before then, she'd be back with Helio. Right as she reached the end of the hallway, Theresa called after her, her voice echoing through the empty house.

"I'm glad we met, Lilah!" she shouted," I am! You were right, Fate does know what she's doing."

"I'm more powerful than her," Delilah said," and yet I don't."

"That's alright," Theresa smiled," you'll figure it out."

Delilah didn't look back as she stepped right back into Helio's house again, the water from the fountain softly rushing behind her. She let herself sink down on her knees against it, burying her hands in her hair. When the scent of lemons tangled itself around her, she could feel her heartbeat slow, his hands cold as they lifted her face up.

"How are you, Lilah?" Helio asked.

"Aren't you going to ask what I did?" she replied, smiling wryly.

"I don't need to," he said," I know you did what you had to, I'm just sorry I couldn't do it for you."

She patted her hand on the grass beside her, Helio taking the spot. They both leaned back against the cool stone around the fountain, their gazes lifted to the glittering sky.

"I studied the stars," she said.

"You still knew my favorite dessert," he noted.

"That's because you're predictable," she chuckled," you should've changed it when the humans made a saying about it."

"I was flattered," he said," besides, I'm glad the mortals talk about me. It lead you back to me."

"I asked your autograph," she reminisced warmly," I still have it, you know."

"Of course you'd be the only one doing that, Lilah," he said, a small smile tugging at his lips," you've always lowered my defenses so easily."

"I didn't think we'd meet again," she said," in an alleyway, as strangers who knew each other all too well. It seems our souls became intertwined when you first met me in that tower, so many years ago."

"You mean our lack thereof," he chuckled.

"I suppose," she smiled.

They were quiet for a moment then, Delilah absentmindedly swirling clouds around her fingers, all of them slashed open with lightning when she spoke.

"What now?" she said.

"Now we go back to normal," he replied," or what's left of it. I've taken too much time of work, the death can't wait."

"You've been taking my duty on your shoulders as well," she said with a shake of her head," let me take on your share for some time as well, Helio, so you can rest, at least."

"There's no need," he reassured her.

"I'll do it anyway," she said," there's no use convincing me."

She was about to stand up to get them in the house when his hand closed around her wrist. Before he even spoke, she knew what he was going to say. It still didn't make it hurt less.

"What about Nico?" he said," I'll give him a proper burial if you can't, Lilah. Really, I'd understand."

"No, I'll be there," she said," you and I, no one else. If any of those cult members of his even dare to come close, I'll make them suffer for an eternity and more."

Helio chuckled softly, but his voice was too thick with sorrow to be colored with any humor. He lowered his head, gaze fixated on the floor.

"I knew what he was doing," he said," he's never been a good liar, exaggerates everything too much. When he started distancing himself and blaming me I knew something was wrong. I didn't know why, but he'd never tell me. I figured he had a good reason. That's why I played along. I could never truly be angry at him."

"He could never truly be angry with you either," Delilah whispered.

"I know," he said.

A tear trickled down his cheek, his hand touching his wet cheek with surprise.

"Am I crying?" he said.

She took his face in her hands, gently pressing a kiss on his cheek before she rested her forehead against his.

"It's been a long day," she murmured.

"I'm glad it's over," he said.

She was as well. It had been a long day, a whirlwind of emotions and lies which made her heart ache, even now. She'd been happy, she'd been angry, she'd been sorrowful. The only thing that had remained constant through all of it had been her love. He still resembled the sun to her.

"I love you, Helio," she said.

He smiled then, a dazzling sight.

"I love you too, Lilah."