19

MATEO'S INITIAL SHOCK FADED as he decided to just run with it, clenching his fist and pulling his arm back to put enough power in the punch. The Reaper however simply stared at him, unnerved, and when Mateo hit him his hand went through him, sinking through the floor. He fell as well, appearing again a moment later as he pulled himself through the floor.

"I guess this means I didn't suddenly become alive?" Mateo said, the joke a bit quieter than usual.

"No," the Reaper said as he pushed himself up," only one person can make you alive again and that's not me."

For a moment Delilah's heart ached. If she had been the Soulweaver she would have been able to let Mateo live and see his family, she would have been able to see expressions from the Reaper she had never seen before. She would have been able to piece his heart back together. With a shake of her head she got the thoughts out. Negative thoughts had no place in her mind, not when there was nothing she could do about it anyway.

The Reaper caught her conflicted expression, but read it as a question, low voice pulling her back to the moment when he answered.

"Ghosts can touch me," he said," but only when I permit them to do so. I'm supposed to guide them after all, so I usually always have the power on." His gaze flicked back at Mateo. "What is this one doing here however?"

"Before I answer that question," Mateo grinned, clenching his fists again," can you turn your power on real quick again, just for a second."

"Why are you threatening me?" the Reaper asked, voice more curious than anything else," I am your god, not your enemy."

"Sorry," Mateo shrugged," the only man I idolize is already dead, so the word god means nothing to me."

"It's fine, Mateo," Delilah reassured him," don't worry. He wasn't trying to take me."

"What?" Mateo blinked, all animosity fading out of him at once as his gaze flicked from her to the Reaper," but then what is he doing here?"

"Why would I take Delilah?" the Reaper said, equally confused," she can't die, where am I supposed to take her?"

"Weren't you all about finding out why she doesn't have a soul and stuff?" Mateo said, pointing accusingly at him," if you were interested enough to bother her at a frat party, I'm not surprised you came to her home."

"Were you at that frat party?" the Reaper said, eyes undecipherable," how long have you been wandering around for?"

"Uhm -" Mateo began.

Without finishing his sentence he saluted them and tried to escape, but when he placed his hands on the ceiling they simply made contact. He frowned, trying to go headfirst, but again, all it did was cause him to slam his head against the ceiling. Bewildered he stared at them, one hand on his head and lips parted, before dropping out of the air altogether and landing with a yell on the floor.

"All the power the dead have I have granted them," the Reaper said, getting to his feet and walking over to Mateo," I'll give them back once you've answered my question."

"That's not fair, dude," Mateo protested," at least let me fly, I'm not used to walking anymore."

"First," the Reaper said, crouching down in front of him," what are you doing here?"