forty-sixth ❀ irl

| VINNIE |

my consciousness returned to me slowly, and as it did i became painfully aware of how bright the light was coming through the window. my head throbbed and i struggled to sit up and pull the shades closed.

but it was then that i saw her lying next to me.

i felt my heart stop.

what was maisy doing here? we were both still clothed...well, i was shirtless, which made me even more confused. as i rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and chugged a bottle of water that had thankfully been left on my nightstand, the remembrance returned to me.

oh, shoot. i really had drunkenly poured out my soul to her in front of a bunch of school acquaintances.

naturally, i began to inwardly freak out. how dumb of me to get drunk and tell her in such an erratic and disorganized manner, instead of growing a pair and having a genuine conversation with her? what had she been thinking? what would jordan think? all my fears of losing the friendship and jordan lashing out returned and my head pounded.

i let out a groan and sank back into the sheets.

now what do i do about maisy next to me?

i'm not the type to leave and make her wake up alone, but i also didn't know what to say once she awoke. but then again, i wasn't exactly unhappy she was in my bed and snuggling softly next to me.

lying back, i listened to her slow breathing as she lay next to me, but all i could focus on was the the hangover pains and how on earth i was going to explain to jordan what i did.

"you're awake." maisy murmured, turning over slightly as she cracked an eye open. as i nodded, she added, "don't say anything about my appearance. i always look crusty in the morning."

"i wasn't going to say anything." i held up my hands in mock surrender, laughing a little. "besides, you look beautiful to me."

she blushed hard and tried to hide it by turning her back to me again. "oh, stop it."

"was all that you said last night really true?" asked maisy quietly, after a short pause.

i swallowed. "well...to be honest, i don't remember a lot of last night. in fact, i have no idea why we're in the same bed right now."

"i thought you wouldn't." chuckling, maisy turned back to me, her eyes filled with amusement. "apparently, drunk vinnie is a complete baby."

i groaned, already embarrassed. she went on, grinning. "you begged me to cuddle with you until you fell asleep."

"i did not. you're making that up."

"nope." she popped the 'p' with great satisfaction. "you big whiny baby."

"okay, what else did i do? how'd my shirt end up off?"

maisy gestured to my laundry across the room. "you threw up all over it. and then pretended it was too hot to put another one on. and then made some typical f boy jokes about your abs. and then once i brushed your teeth and got you in bed, you begged me to lie next to you and then blacked out asleep."

i sat there for a second, embarrassed, as maisy began to giggle at my expression. my memory was beginning to return to me, and i was now thoroughly disgusted with drunk vinnie. note to self: don't drink...at least, not around maisy.

"well, thanks for taking care of me, i guess." it was my turn to flush red in embarrassment. "that was really nice of you...especially after the way i've been treating you these past few days."

"no kidding." she rolled her eyes but smiled. "it's okay, don't worry about it. i understand now."

"sooo, i did spill everything then?

"yeah, i think so." maisy nodded, sitting up and tucking her knees into her chest. "was everything you said really true?"

i laughed awkwardly. " i mean...i don't exactly remember what i said."

she recapped the facts slowly, pausing every now and then to ask me more about something that had happened...the details, the timeline, and how i'd been feeling and handling all of it. she seemed to understand my struggle and now that my strange actions and reactions were making sense, she had a lot more patience and graciousness for the situation.

when we finally finished hashing it all out, i nodded. "i guess that's all...i just wish i'd been able to say it in a more composed manner."

"don't be so embarrassed," laughing a little, maisy leaned forward to wrap her arms around me in a comforting hug. "i understand everything now. we're okay now."

"so, i threw up last night, huh?" i ran my hands over my face.

"yes." maisy said, adding quickly, "i brushed your teeth though."

"geez." combing my fingers through my hair, i shook my head in disbelief. "you really took care of me...you didn't have to. that's awfully nice of you."

she smiled sheepishly. "i just kinda felt bad for how i'd been treating you."

"and i feel terrible for how i was treating you today and yesterday." pulling maisy into my arms again, i apologized. "i'm sorry. i guess i was just bitter at myself for not having the guts to tell you everything, so it just came out at everyone, especially you."

"hey, it's okay. we were both pretty nasty at each other." she rested her head on my chest, sighing softly.

as i ran my fingers down her side, caressing her gently, boldness began to stir up inside me.

"oh, another question about yesterday..."

"yeah?"

"did i kiss you?"

her gaze met mine, a blush suffusing her cheeks as she tried to hide a smile. "n-no, you didn't."

"well, let me make up for that." slipping his hand under her jawline and tilting her head up, our lips met...softly at first, and then more messily and hungrily. she grabbed me by the back of the neck, pulling me closer and eliciting a groan from my mouth.

when we pulled away to catch our breath, i traced along her cheek, unable to help myself smiling so darn hard.

"that fricken smirk," maisy's cheeks flushed pink again, hugging into my chest.

we lay there quietly for a moment with maisy on my chest as i played with her hair. my heart was swelling...we finally got the resolution we so deserved and it felt good to have her here with me. i was content and felt peace for the first time in weeks.

that is, until maisy interrupted the pleasant serenity that was our cuddles by bringing me back to earth.

"but now what do we do about jordan?"

✍︎ ALLY'S NOTE

maisy is so freaking talented bye (this is from a few yrs ago actually)

THE RIFF AT THE VERY END TOO PLS

um also sorry for not updating in so long i'm so close to being done with exams n stuff!!!