Ch29: Kitten

I felt beautiful. For the first time in a long time.

How could I not? Nearly a week and a half had passed and I'd worked extremely hard, spending all my free time designing my dress for the gala. Now that the fabric was rushing over my figure in a union of pink ruffles and sparkles, I felt so elegant. Like a real princess.

Even Felix would be impressed and I couldn't wait to see the look on his face

Even Felix would be impressed and I couldn't wait to see the look on his face. Would he blush? Would the shade of his cheeks match my dress? Would he give me a romantic compliment? My heart fluttered with excitement and I let out a little yelp!

I wondered what shade of pink he would be wearing. I told him the specific color at Agreste Inc. a few days ago, but he was in the middle of some computer work and merely nodded saying, "Uh-huh. Got it." Oh well. As long as my man was wearing pink, I'd be one happy gal...even if it didn't exactly match my dress.

I tried not to think about how my real reason for being Felix's date was for the "mission's sake": to steal the stupid accounting book that he so desperately wanted. He never gave me any more details, so I wasn't sure what to expect tonight. Regardless, I decided to make the most of what I got, and have the best time I could.

"Marinette, when is your boyfriend getting here?" My father hollered from down the hall. His voice was booming and I could always hear it no matter where he was or how far we were apart.

"He's not my boyfriend!" I exclaimed, feeling myself flush at the word.

I'd told Dad almost a million times that Felix was NOT my boyfriend - that he was my boss and nothing more. The only reason Felix was coming over in the first place was because Dad refused to let me go unless he met the man who would be taking his daughter to a late-night gala. Yes, I was eighteen and technically didn't need his approval, but it would break his big heart if I didn't. I couldn't stand to see his puppy dog face, plus I didn't want to strain our father-daughter bond by excluding him from something he thought was important.

I didn't date back in high school, so I never brought boys home with me. In a way, it seemed that my father felt deprived that he never once met any guys in my life (since there were none).

Maybe now that there was someone (even if that someone was actually nothing) Dad needed this for some reason. When I told Felix my father's conditions, he was surprisingly acceptant and even agreed to come over. All would be good unless my dad blew it - he was scaring me every time he called Felix my boyfriend. What if he accidentally slipped up?

I could worry myself to death just thinking about it, so I refocused my mind back to my makeover. I layered my lids with dusty white eye shadow, glossed my lips, and puffed my fancy bun with hair spray.

 I layered my lids with dusty white eye shadow, glossed my lips, and puffed my fancy bun with hair spray