Ch4: Gossip

"Natalie?" I said, hesitantly entering her office fifteen minutes after Felix kicked me out of his.

Her eyes darted from her screen to me, as her thin lips frowned. I took a seat across from her.

"Don't tell me he already attempted to fire you?" she asked, stress lines appearing across her forehead as she massaged her temples with her two index fingers.

"Oh...umm...no."

"He didn't?" she sighed, "well, that's a first."

"Does he usually...on the first day?"

"Usually. Looks like you're the exception," she wore a slight grin, "Don't let him fool you. Mr. Agreste modified Felix's contract to prevent him from having the authority to let you go. That authority is reserved for me and Mr. Agreste alone."

"Well, that's a relief," I said, slouching back and emptying my lungs.

There was silence. A curious look covered her face, as she examined me.

"After I left, did it go well?"

"I mean, I guess. He did tell me to stay away from him as much as possible."

"Seems like he's going easy on you then."

I suppressed my nervous laughter as I said: "If that was easy, then what's hard?"

She glanced down at her silver watch, ignoring my question.

"It's almost lunchtime. I can show you where the cafeteria is located."

I sat up straight, "there's a cafeteria? I didn't know that!"

"Of course. Mr. Agreste wants his employees to have the best possible work environment."

"Wow. That's so cool. Mr. Agreste sounds like a really great guy...I mean CEO," I said, inwardly scolding myself for my unprofessional, butt-kissing words.

"He is. Every day there is a new main dish. Today's dish is boeuf bourguignon, I believe. There's a salad bar and soup too."

"That sounds amazing."

As Natalie rose from her desk, I rushed over to open the glass door with the intentions of holding it open for her. My backside was facing her as I attempted to avoid leaving smudge marks.

"Marinette-" Natalie's voice sounded sharp.

"What?" I shot my head back.

"Are you aware that your skirt-"

"Oh, I completely forgot again!" I moaned. Of all the stresses and nerves I was feeling, my skirt was the lowest on my priority list, even though it should be the first, "do you have a stitching kit? I can easily sew it up."

"I'm sure we do somewhere," Natalie said, "but it honestly might be easier to purchase a new one at the Agreste Employee Shop."

"What? That's a thing?"

She smiled, "Mr. Agreste takes pride in his brand. So, yes, there is a store that contains all of the Agreste brands, as well as cups, hats, snow globes, and things of that nature. All you have to do is swipe your employee badge and it comes right out of your paycheck."

I reached for the plastic ID that I had attached to my skirt, "this badge is a credit card too!"

"Basically."